94 F-150 blinking ABS and blown fuse

I am by no means a mechanic, not even a weekend one, but of course that doesnt stop me from poking around trying to figure this out.

My vehicle was parked, when I started it, I couldn't get it out of park. My ABS light was blinking 15 times then one longer blink. And the fuse for the brake lights was blown.

Somehow I managed to get it out of park and drive home. After looking at the Master cylinder, I noticed a film of brake fliud over it. There is some kind of sensor with two wires coming out of the cylinder, I noticed it was leaking, and the source of the film covering the area. I unscrewed this leaking part and cleaned it out with a stream of compressed air, (the electrical connection was full of fluid. when dry i reassembled it and things worked ok. Until the next time i tried to start, and they cycle started over.

Looking at the part again, it was definatly leaking. I believe this is the source of my problem, teh ABS light, the short and the inability to get the transmission out of park.

Soooo...my question is, whats this part called, and am i guessing right about the problem?

Jeff

Reply to
redbike

||I am by no means a mechanic, not even a weekend one, but of course that ||doesnt stop me from poking around trying to figure this out. || ||My vehicle was parked, when I started it, I couldn't get it out of ||park. My ABS light was blinking 15 times then one longer blink. And the ||fuse for the brake lights was blown. || ||Somehow I managed to get it out of park and drive home. After looking ||at the Master cylinder, I noticed a film of brake fliud over it. There ||is some kind of sensor with two wires coming out of the cylinder, I ||noticed it was leaking, and the source of the film covering the area. I ||unscrewed this leaking part and cleaned it out with a stream of ||compressed air, (the electrical connection was full of fluid. when dry ||i reassembled it and things worked ok. Until the next time i tried to ||start, and they cycle started over. || ||Looking at the part again, it was definatly leaking. I believe this is ||the source of my problem, teh ABS light, the short and the inability to ||get the transmission out of park. || ||Soooo...my question is, whats this part called, and am i guessing right ||about the problem?

Good question! Have the same truck, with the same problem. Planned on tinkering with it tonight. Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

Reply to
redbike

Well, i managed to fix this problem, it was in fact the sensor on the master cylinder, all is fine now, except, i managed to break the connecting plug, I think it just failed from being old and tired, Anyway, i cant just buy the plug, i need the entire wiring harness. Which my ford dealer tells me costs 71 dollars, and is discontinued.

I found that funny, getting a quote for a part that doesn't exist anymore. So it's off to the junkyard. Though things seem to run fine without this piece.

Red

Reply to
redbike

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:07:42 -0400, redbike wrote:

||In article , redbike || wrote: || ||> I'm picking up the part this afternoon, I will let yoiu know what ||> happens. ||> ||> In article , Rex B ||> wrote: ||> ||> > On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 18:44:01 -0400, redbike wrote: ||> > ||> > ||I am by no means a mechanic, not even a weekend one, but of course that ||> > ||doesnt stop me from poking around trying to figure this out. ||> > || ||> > ||My vehicle was parked, when I started it, I couldn't get it out of ||> > ||park. My ABS light was blinking 15 times then one longer blink. And the ||> > ||fuse for the brake lights was blown. ||> > || ||> > ||Somehow I managed to get it out of park and drive home. After looking ||> > ||at the Master cylinder, I noticed a film of brake fliud over it. There ||> > ||is some kind of sensor with two wires coming out of the cylinder, I ||> > ||noticed it was leaking, and the source of the film covering the area. I ||> > ||unscrewed this leaking part and cleaned it out with a stream of ||> > ||compressed air, (the electrical connection was full of fluid. when dry ||> > ||i reassembled it and things worked ok. Until the next time i tried to ||> > ||start, and they cycle started over. ||> > || ||> > ||Looking at the part again, it was definatly leaking. I believe this is ||> > ||the source of my problem, teh ABS light, the short and the inability to ||> > ||get the transmission out of park. ||> > || ||> > ||Soooo...my question is, whats this part called, and am i guessing right ||> > ||about the problem? ||> > ||> > Good question! Have the same truck, with the same problem. Planned on tinkering ||> > with it tonight. ||> > Texas Parts Guy || ||Well, i managed to fix this problem, it was in fact the sensor on the ||master cylinder, all is fine now, except, i managed to break the ||connecting plug, I think it just failed from being old and tired, ||Anyway, i cant just buy the plug, i need the entire wiring harness. ||Which my ford dealer tells me costs 71 dollars, and is discontinued. || ||I found that funny, getting a quote for a part that doesn't exist ||anymore. So it's off to the junkyard. Though things seem to run fine ||without this piece.

Thanks for the followup. I'll buy that sensor and I'll be carefull with the connector. It will be nice to not have all those lights lit up. Annoying, it is. Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B