All AX4N transmissions the same? '98 Taurus fit a '06 Monterey?

I'm trying to find a used transmission for my '06 Monterey minivan.

I found a '98 Taurus.

The compatibility chart says they both take the AX4N or 4F50N.

Can this really be true?

Engines are different sizes, years are very different.

(98 Taurus could be 3.0L V6 or 3.4L V8. My minivan is 4.2L V6.)

What's more, the guy I would buy it off of says he bought it for a V8 Lincoln that also took the AX4N but it turned out that certain brackets were in the wrong place and it wouldn't work.

So it seems like not all AX4N are alike. If so, why do they bother with giving them the same numbers? Are there better numbers anywhere? Like, a "part number"?

I've never done this before and, as you can tell, it is EXTREMELY frustrating. I'm trying to save $1K by finding a used trans to swap in.

My tranny shop is also telling me that it won't likely work. If they're not the same tranny why bother having the same number? I mean, the numbers seem misleading.

Thanks for insight, JP

Reply to
Jeff Potter

BIG SNIP

Hollander interchange book is the bible on parts swapping. It's the reference all salvage yards use and the only sure way to know what fits what in different years. AX4N is a design, housings may vary and the Hollander book will know what interchanges.

Reply to
repairman54