Patrick's Agenda -- CJ Explains It All

> > > In comparision, MM&FF's Evan Smith recently flogged a totally

register

> > > a best of "13.39 at 104 mph and change". > > > A tenth slower than my 289 Mustang. I smell trailer queen. > > 13.20s with a plain ol' 289 Mustang, huh? (Hmmm... I smell

something

> too.) Pretty heedy stuff for a little small block, especially > > considering SEEverist's big-block 455 Buick GS with headers, M&T ET > > Streets, full exhaust/x-pipe, ignition upgrade, traction aids, shift > > kit, ect., only ran 13.40s. And Stevie isn't a shabby driver. Hell, > Stevie doesn't leave with a 40-lb flywheel turning 5000 rpm and > shifting a 2950-lb car at 7800. Stevie admits to leaving his car in > Drive to shift by itself. Night and Day.

Pure stock 289s don't turn 7,800 rpm. Pure stock cars don't leave the line at 5,000 and hook. We're talking factory stock; you're talking modified. Night and day. Your Mustang is irrelevant to this discussion.

> even my Cobra with headers, 3.55s, and drag radials has only run in the > > 13.40s, and it also has the help of more cubes, roller rockers/cam, and > > better heads than any factory 289. Lets go even a step further. My > > brother refused to race my old stock 5-oh LX with his '66 GT-350 > > because he knew he'd get wiped. He knew it, and I knew it, because > > both of us had driven both cars. And my old LX was only a low > > 14-second car. > > Perhaps, you should give us a few more details about this 289

Mustang?

> For one, what was the trap speed? And two, ALL the mods thrown at it. > This car has been discussed in detail in this newsgroup. If your > memory fails you, there's always Google.

You can sit here and play NG ping pong, but you don't have time to repost the details of this miraculous pure-stock Mustang that ran low

13's. THEN doesn't even post the trap speed as asked. You're clearly avoiding the questions...nice... how convenient.
> > > The numbers of which are not too > > > > different from Car Life's 1963 road test of an H&M (Holman & Moody) > > > > prepped NASCAR 410-bhp 427 Ford Fastback. (According to H&M at the > > > > time, their prepped 427 was putting out 500.) The car was a > > > > 4-speed, weighed 4055 pounds, and had a 3:50 gear at the time of the > > > > test. The tires were "Gumballs" (with high tire pressures) and were > > > > mounted on 8.5" wheels. With a pro driver, the car ran the 1/4 at 14.2 > > > > with a 105 mph trap. > > > The original owner I bought my R-code '63 427 Galaxie

stickshift

> > car from had 12.80 times slips from 1963. It had skinny cheater slicks, > > > headers, and 4.57 gears. All else stock, non-pro driver. > > And its trap speeds were? > Like I took notice of them knowing that I'd have to inform you 20 > years later. Nitwit.

Oh, so now you don't even have the time slips. No time slips = no proof. Plus, the car wasn't factory stock, so it's irrelevent to this discussion.

> Umm... Evan's car was pure stock. A half second gained with

headers,

> slicks, and 4.57s IS believeable. > Evan's car was a unibody Fairlane, some 600 pounds lighter than the > full-frame Galaxie. You really don't know much about this stuff, do > you? And I'll bet you didn't figure that the Medium Riser heads and > increased overlap cam on the '66 is worth 50-60 horsepower more than > the 63's Low Riser setup.

Yeah, we're comparing it to the Galaxie you don't have time slips for, and wasn't factory stock. Again, your car is irrelevant to this discussion.

> "Pure stock" 455 Olds and 428 Fords don't put down 405 and 362 > > REAR-WHEEL horsepower respectively. How could they? They didn't even > > have gross advertised (you know, the really optimistic ones.) > > _flywheel_ horsepower figures that high. > > And before you get all pissy with me, ask the SEEverist what his old > > 455 laid down. > I don't have to get pissy. NHRA factored the CJ at 400 horsepower > from the get go.
400 gross advertised hp. Who cares? Its SAE net number would equal about the same number as the older quad-cam Cobras, about 305-320.
The Pure Stock rules would allow oversized valves, > zero deck height, internal block massaging, adjustable rockers, > non-stock cams with optimized cam phasing, twelve inch increase in > displacement, loose piston clearance, lowered oil pump pressure, a > switch to a wide ratio gearbox (works much better with broad torque > engines), blueprinted automatic, and a host of other mods I can > eventually think of. > The fact is, it passed tech for the race like everyone else and > turned 12's.

Yes, according to their rules it ran 12's pure stock. But factory cars didn't come with oversized valves, zero deck height, internal block messaging, 12 inches of additional displacement and/or a blueprinting engine. And what is being discussed here is whether pure stock factory cars ran 12s, so THESE "pure stock" cars are irrelevant. Now the "pure stock" cars that ARE relevant to this discussion are the ones that are either [relatively] untouched originals, OR cars that have been restored back to as close to original specs as possible.

Are we clear?

talking

> about the POTENTIAL of factory muscle cars. Then you could drag out > > scores of dyno tests of modified engines/cars. > As I mentioned elsewhere, old tests are for bench racers. This > series is the here and now.

And it's a great series. I love it! But don't kid yourself into believing a '64 427 belted out anywhere near 516 horsepower when it left the factory.

> > This series is the closest thing to realizing the potential of > > factory style Muscle Cars. > > Potential has it's own series. It's called F.A.S.T -- Factory > > Appearing, Stock Tired. > Now you're getting into stroker cranks and way more room for > refinement.

"Refinement" Would that be the same as "more efficient"? You're not trying to say you like your engines more efficient, are you? > > Much better than the old tests, or Smith beating on an obviously

> subpar example. > > You don't even know how quick/fast these cars were in pure stock > > factory trim. Sad. Either your delusional or you're in denial. I'd > > say it's a little of the first and TONS of the second. > What's sad is you've forgotten how many of these cars I grew up > with, and how many I raced. And back in the day, nothing stayed stock > for more than few days.

You were a teenager in the 70s. The stuff you experienced were modded-up hand-me-downs. In other words, you didn't buy a '63 427 Galaxie off the showroom floor. And, apparently, you've never raced one on a drag strip before either or you'd have timeslips.

> > Of the 12 cars highlighted, 3 were running sticks, and they were > > > all Fords. The Cleveland Torino and the 429CJ Spoiler were both > > > undergeared at 3.50's; both those engines need stiff cogs in > > > intermediates. The big Merc was the only one geared right with a stick. > > > The Mach I, considering that stock converters are required for > > > automatics, would probably be even faster with a manual. > > All that big-block torque spinning little 14-wheels/bias-ply tires, and > > they still need 4.XX gears. That always amazes me. > That's because you don't know Jack Shit about these engines. All the > canted-valve Fords were designed for high-rpm use, and the street > versions were severely undercammed.

First, maybe that's why they didn't run 12's in factory trim, huh? Second, adding tons of gear to a torquey RWD car that's running stock tires isn't a prescription for quicker e.t.s, it's a prescription for a fogbank.

I own and raced a 3.50-geared Cyclone Spoiler 4-speed. It was

undergeared for

the quarter. My friend had a 4V Cleve Torino stick car. He changed to 3.89's > and still was undergeared. See, Patrick. First hand > experience. You never > had it and you never will.

Experience doesn't come from driving your car with one hand and jacking off with the other. Experience doesn't come from racing a buddy, who SAYS his car runs 12s, and holding your own against his car through a gear or two on the street. Experience, in this discussion comes from a drag strip timeslip you can quote from. In that regard, CJ, apparently, you never had it and you never will.

> > My XR7 (heavier than a Mach) ran quicker 12's with a PI intake and > > > a mild converter, and bigger tires (on the original 14-inch

wheels).

> > Bummer, huh? > > Bummer...? Why? Should it have run quicker with all the
[unlisted]
> mods you did to it? > I'm being sarcistic, nitwit. The car had over 100k on the stock > bottom end, lots of blowby, cut front springs with no weight

transfer,

no traction device, leather interior, power windows, all the A/C parts > except the actual compressor, and 300 pounds of ballast in the trunk to > keep the rear from skating under accel.

You missed it. The points were your car wasn't stock, and you didn't give the specs/details of how this now nearly 4,000 pound Cougar ran 12s, and, again, you didn't give us any timeslip information.

"Timeslip" you know... the little card that lists 60-foot and 1/4 mile times and trap speed? That's good info to have when you're claiming 12s!

> Please descibe this car in detail, AND give us its 12-second e.t. and > > trap speed? > Why bother? You'd just make up some more shit to dodge the facts. > Did I mention my Fairlane Cobra stick car was faster? Did I mention my > 455 4-4-2 was in the 12's? Did I mention my '70 Road Runner had > 12-second time slips? Did I mention I still own all these cars? Did I > mention that I have a better grasp of in-depth musclecar dynamics and > combustion physics than you and 180 could ever accumulate in a

lifetime

of heated collaboration?

Why bother?! You haven't given us any facts than to SAY your cars have run 12s. It's all lip service. Hey, did I ever tell you every car I've ever owned ran 12s, and they all did it in pure-stock factory stock trim? Yep, no shit! My old '69 Super Bee, 12s. My '67 Impala, 12s. My '68 Comet, 12's. My '68 Dodge pickup,

12's. My '76 Dodge pickup, 12s. My old LX, 12s. My Cobra, 12s. My wife's Accord, 12s. Even my daughter's '83 LTD, 12s. Huh, do I have timeslips...? Oh, I don't have anytime slips. Nor, am I going to give you any details on my vehicles.

Pretty persuasive arguement, huh?

And what do you have? An outdated Mustang and a monkey on your back. > Oh yeah, and the naivete to think nobody can see you're a hypocrite > with an agenda steeped in ignorance.

Okay, you want my agenda? Here's my agenda: For CJ/Rick to tell us how quick and fast (e.t and trap speed) a small sampling (10-12 different cars -- you pick the examples) of 1st generation muscle cars ('64-'73) were in the quarter mile, IN pure-stock factory trim.

And please don't dodge it, AGAIN, with "I don't care what they ran in factory trim."

That's my agenda, and your assignment. Good luck! Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

Ah, Patrick Patrick Patrick. Seven years of this (maybe more before I showed up?) and all you've proven is that you are the only one that can compare apples and oranges and produce a banana. This impresses nobody but the monkey on your back. The obsession with magazine tests and the attitude that if someone doesn't have a time slip then he is a liar, is so much smoke to cover up the fact that you are ignorant when it comes to the intricacies, characteristics, and relationships that make up the whole classic muscle car hobby.

In retrospect, maybe you *should* continue to regurgitate the "news" stories about the current vehicular offerings, because you are clearly out of your league otherwise. Every newsgroup needs a mascot, right Bulldog?

Reply to
CobraJet

before

What I've proven is that you can't answer the question. The question of how fast were they in factory stock trim. When Rick, when are you going to answer? Seven years and *every* *single* time you've run off without answering. Is the answer really that painful? Is it a sin? Are you scared? What is it, Rick? Why is it so hard for you?

clearly

Rick, you don't understand that you can see/and admit a vehicle's shortcomings and still love it just the same. Case in point the Fox Mustangs. As you know I've been driving one since 1987. I hate their brakes, the chassis flexes a little too much, there are some cheap interior pieces, the seating position is far from perfect, the seats suck, and they need more horsepower (doesn't everything?), but all these deficiences doesn't keep me from loving them. I love Fox Mustangs! And there are *scores* of other cars -- new and *old* -- that I love even though I know they are far from perfect. I know too that none of them were the quickest or fastest car built. I can admit it because it just doesn't matter. While speed and power is awesome, it's what the car does for you that matters most. Now fess up and end this madness.

Rick, it was Pitbull.

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

The only way to know how fast they really were in Stock trim is to dig up times run in Stock Eliminator back then. When that class first started, there were no headers or slicks or anything else allowed. Not were there the abundance of "tricks" the modern cars employ. Basically, it was a showroom class.

If it's all that important to you, *you* dig it out. I don't have the time, nor do I care. Other than the occasional mention of this or that car in a old mag, I wouldn't even know where to find a list of SE times.

The 60's cars have better brakes than the Fox, flex less, have nicer interiors, better seats (well, most of the intermediate and full sizers do), are far easier to work on, less expensive to maintain, have more charismatic styling and individualism, and can be hopped up for less money.

There, I 'fessed. I love the classics for all of this and the fact that they send me back to a time I much prefer to the garbage we live in today. Happy?

Sorry, I knew Bull had something to do with it.

Reply to
CobraJet

Hey Rick, if you want to find ET's for Stock Eliminator, just go to

They have a pretty good data base on that site, and it goes waaaaay back! I know for a fact that a friend of mine, back in 75, held the record for Z/S in a 73 Vega 4 cyl with an ET of 16.54.

Gary

Reply to
GEB

Thanks, I'll check it out in a few minutes. I'm sure Patrick will beat me there.

BTW, the "zoot FE" in the BB group morphed into some V8 Pinto talk.

Reply to
CobraJet

generation

question

anything you'd have/get in a factory car. I'm going to keep looking for a good link though.

I don't buy the no time thing. Doesn't matter... I'll find it.

Sadly this is probably true.

Doubt it.

No way, not with their skinny-ass steering wheels, cheap vinyl everywhere, horrible gauges, even cheaper plastic parts, and gaudy chrome trim.

Flat seats with no adjustment vs Fox Mustang seats. As bad as they are, I'd still have to opt for the Fox seats.

For clearence and a limited number of components yes. But for carbs and points, modern is better. Still the edge goes to older.

Yes, older is better.

That's only because they're old. Back in the day, most were considered boring to look at. 30-35 years from now, an '04 Terminator will be SO cool and classic looking compared to everything else on the road.

Agreed.

However, you can't drive the old ones everyday anymore (who wants to be a curator?), without overdrive they suck on modern highways, handling is on par with a dump truck, and they pollute worse than a dog that ate a bean burrito.

No, no, no. You didn't do the assignment, you goof. 10-12 classics and list their e.t.s and trap speeds in factory stock trim. C'mon dude, it isn't that hard. You *said* you have all the old magazines... go look.

That's right, the author of the "no-bull zone".

Pitbull Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

(snip)

Excuse me, gentlemen, a few sane comments...

And let's not forget property taxes, insurance, and the never ending finance charges.

I disagree completely. You seem to forget that for the past 20 years, most cars have adopted the worn-bar-of-soap look. How does that inspire anyone to plunk down that kind of money? The Big Three all have "retro-styled" vehicles that have sold very well. Hmm... In the 50s, 60s and 70s, bold styling (for a variety of audiences) came way before drag coefficient in terms of what made a desirable external shape.

Many can be equipped with overdrive for not a hell of a lot of money. I drive my '67 about 8,000 - 10,000/year.

handling

"Handling" is a very vague description, but alright. They aren't as refined. Performance potential? A lot more of it than perhaps you know depends on the driver's hands and feet. "It's not the car, it's the driver" holds a lot of truth. In the (I think D) modified autocross class, I flung (not my) '55 XK140 with a punched-out Ford 302, open rear end, and top loader around a full 3 seconds quicker on a 45-sec course than the next challenger - a heavily tweaked (and "faster") 88 LX 5.0 with gonzo tires, driven by a mutual acquaintance. He pissed and moaned, and tried to find where the unfair mechanical advantage was. My Jag owner friend just informed me I'd be helping with the next brake job after the final run. All drums...

Over-reliance on inherent handling characteristics rather than actual skill gets a lot of people killed.

and they pollute worse than a dog that ate

Creating a new car and driving it for 100,000 miles pollutes the environment far worse than keeping an old, pre-smog BB car running for that many miles ever could.

Reply to
Wound Up

You must like the current sharp edged Cadillacs?

Style is about getting a reaction and any reaction is better than no reaction. Recently bland brands, such as Nissan, Subaru and Cadillac are trying to create stronger reactions right now. Others have settled into a familiar look (Porsche, Corvette, Jeep, Beetle and now the Mustang) that's likely to continue indefinitely. Some love one and wouldn't be caught dead in another.

Totally bland cars like Accords and Camrys prompt millions of people to pay $$$--for their trouble free operation rather than looks.

The best indicator of who will buy a product is whether the person has already bought the same product.

They've also had retros that didn't do well (e.g. Chevy SSR, T-Bird, Prowler). You can find good and terrible models in any era--the 70s spawned the Pinto and Pacer.

It's a much bigger issue than overdrive.

It's *also* true that traction and stability control, independent suspension, better tires, etc. make cars easier to handle. The same people would be reckless with either level of technology.

-John

Reply to
Generic

The three mentioned above all share the common traits of being underpowered, and overpriced. IMO, the styling isn't what's killing them. There was a lot of interest in both the T-Bird and SSR, until the price reared it's ugly head. The Prowler (while not my cup 'o tea) would be scary with a nice hemi tucked in there.

-- John C. '03 Cobra Convt. (on steroids)

Reply to
John C.

No. Too pseudo-Futureland to me.

It's such a subjective thing... I just don't like The Attack of the Rounded Blobs. C&D once took ten 1/4 profiles of vehicles from as many manufacturers and continents as they could, then asked if you could even get the marque. I think I got one right.

Yes, and I forget as a car guy many people want their cars to be like their appliances... in fact this characteristic is what I try to find for my wife... and she drives a green bar of soap

At least they were distinctive. At least they tried.

I know, it's about feeding the public's addition to creature comforts with 1000s of feet of wire and 100s of lbs. of padding.

When was it that most people decided to buy features, primarily? It seems like it's been quite a while.

True. Now, they can just be more easily reckless, and more reliably so at higher rates of speed. I see

The emphasis on skill, never enough in the US IMO, has been further drained out of the driving experience by these things.

I suppose a weekend driving course is ridiculous to suggest by standards of convenience, but it's completely reasonable to spend thousands on traction control, active stability control, abs, 15 airbags and feel a false sense of security. The hardware is only as good as its inputs.

Reply to
Wound Up

But hey, they tried. There's something to respect in that. (See your own comment below.)

No doubt, but that's a positive thing for some buyers. Every car era has common looks, such as pre-WW2 fenders, 50s blobs and fins, 60s sharp creases, 80s sci-fi angles and neon colors, etc.

Cars are not important to many people, or people make major compromises for budgetary reasons.

Cadillac is trying right now. It takes a few years for styles to sink in, some grow and some become dated. We've got risky "tries" like the Pontiac Aztec, Mazda RX-8 and Saturn Ion too.

It jumped out at me in the early 80s when the Japanese econo cars started adding power locks and windows...

-John

Reply to
Generic

Isn't it time for you to carry your ass back to that other group?

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Yeah, butt I thought I'd wait until you came up with your own sig, thus relieving Kate of the Revlon-covered suckerfish smooches on her hiney.

Reply to
CobraJet