Is a 4T60E transmission w/ # 618AHW interchangable with a 619AHW

I have a 98 Buick Century that I need to replace the tranny. The number on the tranny tag is a 618AHW. The number on the tranny I want to use is a 619AHW out of a 99 Chevy lumina. Salvage yard cross reference says these are interchangable. One gm dealer told me these are the same gear ratio and will interchange and another gm dealer told me they are different gear ratios and won't interchange. Who can tell me or who can I call to find out for sure if it will work?

Reply to
nomad

I have a 98 Buick Century that I need to replace the tranny. The number on the tranny tag is a 618AHW. The number on the tranny I want to use is a 619AHW out of a 99 Buick Century. Salvage yard cross reference says these are interchangable. One gm dealer told me these are the same gear ratio and will interchange and another gm dealer told me they are different gear ratios and won't interchange. Who can tell me or who can I call to find out for sure if it will work?

Reply to
nomad

The code 618AHW means: 61 is the transaxle, the '8' is the model year (1998), the W at the end means it's a Hydramatic 4T60-E. The "AH" is the actual model of the transaxle, if it's the same on both, 618AHW and 619AHW, then one would think they are the same transaxle, just different years.

Just for comparison, my transaxle is a 615PBW (61, 1995, PB, 4T60-E), RPO code M13, with an RPO FW9 - 3.43 final drive.

To be 100% sure, you could check out the RPO codes on both vehicles. Make sure they are both an M13, which they should be by the info on provided in the plates, and also check to make sure the RPO for the final drive ratio is the same, it will be one of the following: FPx, FQx, FRx, FVx, FWx, FYx, F1x (where 'x' is a number between 0 and 9)

Make sure they're the same on both cars.

All that being said, it is my opinion, based on the two numbers, 618AHW and

619AHW, I would say they are the same tranny and can be used without worry.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Steve, Thank you. Just the expert opinion I was looking for. Thanks for your time.

Reply to
nomad

I ain't no expert.

Reply to