alternator turning white

My alternator has a white residue on it (1995 Taurus 192,000 miles). Is this a sign of impending failure? No other part of the engine has this.

Joe

Reply to
jcmagla69

It's a sure sign of old age, but does not indicate an impending failure. But with that many miles I would reasonably expect to replace it in the next year or so.

If it is on the alternator body the residue is probably just aluminum oxide.

Reply to
sleepdog

My 1995 TC has the original alternator with the same white discoloration. No problems so far.

Rodney

Reply to
rodney

Is there any chance you are losing anti-freeze? It has been my experience that a steam leak from the cooling system will discolor aluminum parts. Is your alternator uniformly white, or splotchy? I'd make sure there isn't a leaking hose, or loose hose connection in the area of the alternator.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Hint.... the brushes are likely near gone.

order a replacement brush set, take it off this weekend and replace the brushes and check bearings, lube the rear one.

look on google this group for tip on refurbing alternator.

If 3.0, remove the overflow/washer tank and set aside, loosen tensioner pivot bolt. swing tensioner with breaker bar or long box wrench, Slip belt off idler, totally remove stamped bracket between intake and alternator boss.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic