ATTN: Backyard Mechanic or Neil Nelson

Hi guys,

JL here. How have you been? Me, well not so well. But that's besides the point.

I am asking you guys because I respect and trust you. (I cant say that about too many people) I also know you both work on vehicles other than Fords. I have browsed the Neon newsgroup and well all I can say is unbelievable.

To the point:

I have a friend who has a 95 Dodge Neon (Ok, now stop laughing, its all they can afford) Anyway it has a short in the electrical system. Since my back is so bad I cant even get up to take a look, but it keeps blowing the fuse for the fuel injection. They said its a 20 amp fuse. I do not know what number fuse it is. The fuse is located in the fuse box under the hood.

At first the fuse would blow occasionally. Now it blows as soon as you put the fuse in. That's a good thing, makes it easier to find the problem.

I have heard rumors that the battery is known for corroding the power box, (fuse/relay box) next to the battery and the wires under the battery tray causing a similar concern. Have either one of you run into this problem before?

I would like to at least get someone here going in the right direction. One shop removed the engine to find the short. Like they really knew what they were doing, Down right thieves I call them.

Another place started hot wiring things to bypass the short but have not solved the problem.

I told her to get it out of where she has the car after they repair the wiring they butchered. Then I would try and find out if this was a common problem or not.

If you guys have heard or seen this problem let me know.

Thanks

JL

Reply to
BARRY PENIGHETTI

Barry, sorry to hear your back is so bad...

I wouldnt laugh at a Neon, Like you said..

But removing an engine to find a fuel pump wiring short!!!! Makes one weep.

Actually I dont work on anything but my own Fords, but this isnt really a "make" problem".

I assume from your post the fuse blows as installed.. not dependent on ign sw on?

If a 20 amp fuse is blowing, that USUALLY isnt a corrosion problem, as that is a product of oxidation, and oxides are electrical insulators... save for very high voltage... or very low value fuses

It's probably a pinch. Here's what I would do... verify the pinch or short by probing the fuse connector to see which side is hot and which side isnt... then after disconnecting the battery.. check with an ohmmeter from the load side of fuse to the negative battery cable terminal. (to eliminate possible bad connection to body)

The meter should read less than 1 ohm.. (according to ohm's law) that would verify a short before the relay

So the thing would be to find the relay.. and check all the wiring in between the fuse and relay... if it's in the same box.. that's a pretty short trip.

But if it blows as the key is turned, that's different... that would put the problem AFTER the relay.

I've never tried it, but a tone-tracer might be able to trace the wire to the point of the short... just about any phone guy or computer network tech would have access to one.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Hey Backyard, Ya know something? I was wrong about you, I've been reading this group for a week now and it's pretty dam cool the way you try and help if you can... Tip My Hat... Bananas

Reply to
john-bananas

john-bananas opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de:

thanks... appreciate the reconsideration!

you're okay!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

me thinks you hit the nail on the head with your fuel pump statement.after

9 years, there is a very good possibility the fuel pump took a dump news:Xns9553EEBABF4E4BkMch6d@207.115.63.158...
Reply to
tom

Hi, J. Louis, welcome aboard this great newsgroup. I know WW's does work but being on those pills can defeat a person. Although you can't do leg exercises because of your back, can you do arm & upper body ones? Can you use any kind of weights? Any kind of exercise helps to speed up your metabolism & gets your body working better. WW's is the only way to go and even if is is a very slow or almost no loss, at least you won't be gaining and that is half the battle. I agree with the many small meals and this will work very well with WW's also. I wish I could help you more. Elaine K

331.4/218.0/179

"J. Louis" wrote:

Reply to
I am me!