Auxillary lighting in my van

I have once another question about my van, I was wondering if I could use a second battery for my lighting (inside and outside) and run a wire from the output on the alternator to that other battery to charge it while the van is running, this would eliminate me getting a dead battery while out fishing or moving at night

Reply to
zerozero

opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Many people have done that. But ...... The problem with just putting a second battery somewhere and wiring it together is that batteries vent explosive gases while at a high charge rate and a heavy cranking load may melt the connecting wire. That means a switch would be needed.

Bottom line : too much attention needed.

Installing the highest performance battery ALONG WITH the highest output alternator that will fit is lots simpler and easier to maintain. You may have to install a heavier cable from the alt output to the batt.

Also you can get 12v flourescents for cabin lighting

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I wasnt going to wire the auxillary battery to the existing battery at all, only straight from the alternator, so it wouldnt be effected by the cranking of the engine

Reply to
zerozero

That wire is hot all the time in most vehicles. It's possible that hooking to it would melt your new wire and existing alternator wiring when cranking. A solution would be to put a high amp diode in series with a hot wire directly to the main battery. Remember though, a diode has a 0.6v drop across it.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?= opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@houston.rr.com:

AND it should have at least a 50 volt rating. Or it could short, then open... it would also have to be able to handle a surge current of more than 30 amps, at any rate.

it simply isnt worth the bother... and dont forget you DONT want that battery charging gases to vent in the cabin..

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Reply to
Remo von Dach

Cool, I will check it out.

Reply to
zerozero

Ambulances have a battery switch in them. Don't know how all they work, but they can reach down and switch to the backup battery if they need. Might be able to get what you need at a junk yard.

Remo von Dach wrote: : You can get a kit for an auxilary battery from any automotive parts : store or RV supplier. You need a solenoid to isolate the second battery : when the ign is off. When the engine is running, it will charge both : batteries up at the same time. This system has been around for ages in : campertrucks/vans and minimotorhomes. Solenoid looks a little bit like a : Ford starter relay. Wiring diaphram comes with kit and is easy to : install. Good luck. : : abomb69(zerozero)@comcast.net wrote: : :>I have once another question about my van, I was wondering if I could use a :>second battery for my lighting (inside and outside) and run a wire from the :>output on the alternator to that other battery to charge it while the van is :>running, this would eliminate me getting a dead battery while out fishing or :>moving at night :>

:>

:> :>

:
Reply to