1977 LTD II Fuel Sending Unit

We just inherited a 1977 LTD II and need to replace the fuel sending unit. But I'm not finding this part anywhere. Is it perhaps listed by some other name...or is it sold as part of the fuel pump assembly or something?

Any help would be appreciated.

Lynn

Reply to
Malmbergs

The sending unit is in the gas tank. Another thing to check is a small voltage regulator used for some of the instruments, including the fuel gauge. It's located on the back of the dash. It's a small metal box, about

1' or 1 1/2" by about 1/2". Considering the age of the car, check the wiring to the sending unit first.
Reply to
max-income

Sorry...I need to clarify. We've pulled the sending unit from the tank and it's in really bad shape. This car hasn't been touched in at least 12 years. We're trying to find a replacement sending unit.

Thanks, Lynn

Reply to
Malmbergs

A fealer should be able to help you. If not, the sending unit is more than likely a generic item unchanged for many years. A more recent carbureted vehicle likely uses the same unit. A newer vehicle with the fuel pump outside the gas tank is a likely donor.

Reply to
max-income

You'd think so, wouldn't you. But the dealer says "it's too old, try NAPA" and NAPA says "it's too specific, try the dealer".

Reply to
Malmbergs

-- The other alternative is to hit the wrecking yards. Those where you pull the parts yourself are a good source of older parts. Look for a newer ford with a carburetor, pull the sending unit out, and see if it matches up. Another alternative is a speed shop that sells gauges. They might be able to help you out with a generic sending unit to fit an aftermarket gauge.

Every day is a good day- it's just that some are better than others.

Reply to
max-income

Thanks for the help....the wrecking yards it is.

Ya know, the funny thing is that when I go to any of the used auto part/salvage yard online part searches....there doesn't seem to be a part listed for "sending unit", no matter what vehicle I type in. That's why I was wondering if I was calling it the wrong thing or something.

Lynn

Reply to
Malmbergs

It's probably considered part of the fuel tank, and not listed seperately.

Reply to
max-income