Back seat removal-'82 Mk VI/TC

I know it'll sound like I'm joking, but I'm not- how the #($*&##($*& do you get the back seat out of one of these cars? I'm having my beloved '82 repainted, and I'm taking the trim off- the chrome moulding right in front of the rear tire has three retainers which have to be removed from inside. The only way to get at them is to remove the interior trim, and the only way to do that is to take the back seat out entirely. I've got a complete set of manuals, and they don't show where the seats are attached to the body of the car. And attached they are; I can't budge them. Is there a bracket I'm not seeing that has a bolt on the body pan under the car?

As always, "AHP".

TIA, CN

Reply to
Chris Nagorka

??? What brand of manuals are these? Anyway, if it's like most Ford products made in the past 25 years, push in on the front of the cushion, then lift up WHILE holding pressure on the front of the cushion. The seat back is usually held by the seatbelt bolts at the bottom, clips at the top.

Reply to
Sharon Cooke

Hello:

They are the original full set of factory manuals, all four volumes. Of course, it's just the body/chassis one I'm concerned with.

One of the exploded views of the back seat backrest shows two metal brackets sticking out the bottom, which appear to bolt onto something somewhere, but no detail is given. Funny how they can detail the exact number of wire clips needed to hold on the upholstery, but don't say anywhere where the bolts are holding on the backrest itself!

Anyway, I'll try what you said. I can lift up on the corners of the seat cushion, but it feels like something is holding it down squarely in the middle. Maybe I was tired and didn't try hard enough.

Thanks, Chris Nagorka

('82 Mk VI, '97 GM, '99 E-350)

Reply to
Chris Nagorka

By the way, in that first post, it should have been, "as always, AHA"- "Any Help Appreciated".

CN

Reply to
Chris Nagorka

"Chris Nagorka" wrote

Don't just lift, push (slide) the seat bottom towards the back bumper (I usually get in on the floor and whack it with my knee), enough to disengage the clips, then the front should easily lift up. It's the springiness of the foam that pushes the seat forward enough to keep it from popping out of the clips.

MasterBlaster

That's what I told him; push the seat bottom back and hold pressure WHILE lifting.

Reply to
Sharon Cooke

"Sharon Cooke" wrote

But you didn't supply pictures. Nyah-nyah, I win!

Reply to
MasterBlaster