Battery Boiling over

Hello,

I have a 92 Crown Vic. Yesterday the battery started to crank the car over slower. This morning it failed to crank the started over then cranked very slowly.

After cleaning the battery terminals and connections I checked the battery voltage (10V) , and again when the car was running (14V). I let the car Idle for about 10 minutes. The battery acid started to flow out of the battery; enough to make the front right of the engine compartment wet, and it left a puddle on the ground under the car. After washing everything down I pulled the battery and swapped in the battery from my 94 CV that's out of action at the moment.

The battery is 6 years old.

Is the boiling over due to the alternator over charging?

Or is the battery unable to hold a charge and making the alt work over time.

Reply to
Patrick Fitzgerald
10 volts indicates that one of the cells is dead. The plates in one the cells are probably shorted, that would explain why went you charge it the bad cell gets real hot and boils over. 6 years is long for a battery.

Patrick Fitzgerald wrote:

Reply to
Kevin Torkelson

I had a similar problem with a Dodge van. It was overcharging and would spew battery acid all on the inside of my hood. After replacing the regulator (with no results) and trying a new battery etc, it turned out that the two small wires that plug onto the alternator had been switched, switching them back solved the problem.

Reply to
DodgeVanGogh