Is this a poor and tired alternator?

1997 SL1 Manual tranny 200,000Km / 120,000Mi Do alot of my own maintenance and it gets dino oil every 5000Km/3000Mi

Two weekends ago, it wouldn't start after a night of sitting in the driveway and we got it boosted.

Drove it for 20 minutes and the battery was still dead.

My father in-law hooked up a tester on it and figured the alternator was indeed charging but the engine stopped when he hit the load button. (first suspicious clue there)

We got a new battery and things have been great until yesterday.

I was sitting in traffic and I believe the A/C was on for the first time this season. The gauges, radio and anything except the engine blinked off for a moment - of about a half a second or less. It happened a second time a couple of minutes later.

I was pretty much at my destination already and so went in and bought some computer parts.

I came back out, started the car and made for the parking lot exit. The car just died. The battery was completely drained as the time on the clock disappeared but would come back after shutting everything down including dome light.

My brother came along and gave me a boost. Three starts in total.

First start, the engine got progressively slower until it stopped afrter 5 or so seconds.

Second start, I put my foot on the brake and the engine died.

Third start, I let it go for a bit and it was good enough for a short drive to drive to my parents' house.

In the evening, I started it and took it for a 10 minute drive around my parents' neighbourhood and things appeared fine.

I'm thinking the alternator is getting tired and would do well with a replacement. Anybody agree or have other suggestions?

With the exception of a SSI dealership mechanic and Jiffy Lube place, my experiences with this car for the last 7 years has been wonderful. Yeah, it's burning oil but I just noticed the post a month or so back about pouring GM piston cleaner into the plug holes and letting it sit overnight and am game to try that.

Mileage has gone down to about 1/2 to 2/3 of what it used to get since

100,000Km and I'd love to hear some ideas to fix that. I used to go about 700 - 900Km per tank of gas depending on how much city or highway driving I did. Nowadays, it looks like 500 to 700 clicks.

Also of note, the last few weeks, it's taking quite a few turns of the starter or just letting go of the key for a second and then turning it again before the engine starts at times.

Any suggestions?

Regards, Bill Ing

Reply to
Bill ing

In me experience with my previous Saturn ('93 SC 2) I discovered that when the alternator is "shot" all the auxiliary systems do indeed shut down first...it sounds like a similar situation in your case. The first one I replaced it with was done at the dealership, and they charged a HORRENDOUS amount, and warranted it for 3 years. About 3 years later - almost to the day - it went out. I was determined that I would get a better alternator at a better price...and I did. I went to AutoZone (are there any in Canada?) and bought one with a lifetime warranty (as long as I owned the car!) for

1/3! Yes, 1/3 the cost of what Saturn charged! This time, I installed it myself - had to remove the right wheel well and install it from below the car - (much easier this way) - and it worked perfectly and more powerfully than the AC/Delco/GM/Saturn version...

Warren

Reply to
Warren
3 batts and 3 alts on my 97SL2 with almost 90k (miles). The last battery failure (and it was a relatively new battery) gave symptoms like you described. It was very hard to start even with AAA (roadside service) and then on the drive home the gauges were nuts. It would not start again when home. I just went and bought a battery and kept waiting for the alternator to go, so far so good (it was last Fall sometime I think...)
Reply to
Jonnie Santos

I would tend to think Alternator also. i would also change the tensioner and serpentine belt if not already done. This is easier done by the same right side wheel removed and lowering the top mount tension. It would be wise to get one of the 10mm wrenches that have a 5 degree movement range. good luck the job took me over 4 hours with the wrong tools. Recent purchased the right tools and probably would take about an hour but haven't needed to do the job again.

Reply to
Matt hotmail

Reply to
Blah blah

Thanks for the reply.

No Autozones up here but a shuffle off to Buffalo would get me to one as well as a Pep Boys.

But I think there are plenty of other sources in the Toronto area to get one.

I'm guessing it's either a brand new OEM or a rebuilt/remanufactured unit. It was quoted $200 Canadian for a remanufactured Bosch unit. I think that's around the $150 USD mark.

Cheers

Reply to
Bill ing

Wow. Hope I'm not in over my head with this one.

But, for the sake and interest in keeping my baby on the road for a long time, it's probably a good idea to take care of those too.

I'll check both my Haines and Chilton manuals about which tools they want you to have.

Thanks

Reply to
Bill ing

Gauge, I do believe. But I don't remember there being too much usefull information on it. I'll check it again and thanks for the tip.

Reply to
Bill ing
3? Holy crap.

I've heard friends and read in this group over the past few years that they had alternator troubles especially in places with lots of hot and humid weather.

All things considered, behind the wheel well is a pretty miserable place for ventilating it.

Reply to
Bill ing

Southern Calif and it gets pretty warm - plus I run the AC almost all the time with the fan on med to high (i.e. lots of electrical demand) and I'm just plain hard on cars.

Reply to
Jonnie Santos