Busted 05 Escape Windsheild

My 2005 Escape windshield took a rock on the highway. The insurance company says that the glass company needs to get an authoriation to use Factory Glass (Carlite). The glass companys says that this glass is no better than pinkerton glass. Anyone have experience? If the car was older I suppose I wouldn't care, but it is brand new and I'd prefer factory stuff as opposed to generic.

Reply to
finiteguy

Can you get this at the dealer? What do you care if it costs more.

Or can you get an authorization from a different glass company?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

The OEM glass is more expensive than the aftermarket in almost every case. The insurance company obligation is to install an equivalant glass - not necessarily the same. If the aftermarket glass meets the same standards, the insurance company considers it equivalant. The glass company needs the insurance to authorize the additional expense of the OEM glass which they are not likely to do or, you may be able to work out a deal with the glass company where you pay the difference. You may find that difference to be quite large on your end since the OEM glass is outside the contract price to the insurance company. It works a bit like your medical insurance - they pays what they pays - the rest is up to you if you can cut a deal.

Reply to
lugnut

Amica insurance (GREAT COMPANY) told me to tell the glass company to call them to get aithorization for OEM glass. The glass company did that but they claim that the aftermarketglass is made by the same company . Not sure I believe that.

In the end, I just want the windshield to be as good as the original and no leaks.

I also want a good job. I have had two windshields replaced in two other cars and they were hack jobs. One glass repair firm left broken glass in the front seat. In another instance the tech broke the plastic window trim and gouged the hood because he was in a big hurry. His company of course repaired the damage but it was a hassle.

The guys that are fixing the Escape are the ones that the dealer uses so I figure I'm better off.

I still would like OEM glass and it looks like I'm getting it.

My real question is does it matter? Are there different grades of glass. Some after market parts are real junk but I'm not sure about glass.

Reply to
finiteguy

Technically, it has to meet DOT standards. If installed by the manufacturer, it may be required to meet additional standards. The only way to be sure it is the same, you need the OEM glass. I just had the w/s replaced in my F150 because of many miles of wear and tear. I went with an equivalant glass that appears to have better features but, it appears to me that the glass is a bit clouded especially whe facing into a bright light like the sun. It is also considered to be an equivalant glass for insurance replacement. You may want to personally examine it for clarity, etc. before it is installed. I do not know about the escape but the tech who installed mine actually cut the seal before attempting to remove the glass. It still cracked but did not shatter. No glass schards have been found inside. Sealants are also much better and are easy to use simply by following the instructions. One thing you should be aware of is the possibility of causing a leak by closing all the windows and closing a door for 3-4 days after the glass is set. Slaming a door with all the windows closed right after can pop it right out because it just sits on the sealer.

Reply to
lugnut

Even if it is made by the same company, it may not be made to the same standards. The muffler companies make mufflers and exhaust pipes for the aftermarket on totally seperate lines.

It is also very important that it gets installed correctly. The glass is a structural element that keeps the roof from falling in a rollover crash and adds to the integrity in a front crash.

(...)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff