Can Anything Stop Toyota?

When you're rolling along at 75 mph and see a clump closing ground on you in the rear view, have you ever started speeding up slowly .... enough to where they are no longer closing in on you? ;-) On flat ground, funny how that speed seems to be about 85 mph, no matter where you go.

Reply to
Philip®

It isn't the guy in my mirror that makes my speed creep up. It is my own right foot! |>)) The reason I want cruise control is to keep me from going tooooo faaaaast! My SX 2.0 (neon to you mercans) just loves to entice me into going faster and faster and faster.

If I do see a guy creeping up on my, what I try to do is speed up a bit to find someplace to fit into so neither of us are too inconvenienced. Even at 130ks, I move into the r.h. lane whenever possible. That way, I'm not struggling to get over when I see someone in my mirror.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Gates

Not in this neck of the woods. Lots of F150's and the chevy model also a ton of big heavy Dodges. I even see a one ton'er once in a while, they never haul anything in them except trash or hook up the travel tailer to go up to the lake.

Dale

Reply to
<dalej2

True, but there arent that many contractors around here. The workers usually drive older PUs or cars. Try and get an addition on your house, you're looking at next March. I can always tell if it's a contractors PU because it'll be full of matieral, tools and pulling a big trailer full of more tools, material ect. Now thats a work truck. Check out a Home Depot at 7 AM if you want to see contractor PU's

No, the parking ramps are full of full size PU's around here. Even lawyers drive them.

Dale

Reply to
<dalej2

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Reply to
Thomas Moats

You're so full of shit, just like 99% of plastic/fake southern californians.

Reply to
Eastward Bound

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Eastward Bound) spake unto the assembled masses in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Been watching too many '60s anti-establishment hippie movies, have you?

Reply to
TeGGeR

Funny you should mention Dodge Neons (indirectly). What is it about those cars that makes people drive them hell bent for leather? Is the thing geared or the engine tuned so that everything comes together at 80 mph?

Reply to
Philip®

In news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com, Thomas Moats being of bellicose mind posted:

I started to do some research on "mean average" traffic speeds on I-5 between Wheeler Ridge (Grapevine) and Tracy, CA. BUT... I ran across this new article about the Cajon Pass ... that I traverse about every week to 10 days. I can vouch for its accuracy!!

With even more DETAIL.....

Philip®

So they can tailgate old people in Cavaliers with relative impunity?

Reply to
Matt Keefer

They're the NA equivalent to the Honda Civic... at least Neon drivers haven't en-masse figured out about glass-pack mufflers, 20" rims with spinners, and 300lb rear spoilers.

Reply to
Matt Keefer

This isn't just Ford though... this is everybody. NOBODY tests anything anymore. When it proves to be deficient, they simply patch it... As a computer user, you shouldn't be bitching about Ford. Another big corporation should be miles higher on your list...

Reply to
Matt Keefer

That is I suppose interesting. But it says nothing of the average speed, only that MORE tickets are issued for high speed infractions.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Well, a lot of them are driven by "yoot". A little money goes a long way in terms of hp, looks, ride. As I said, I cruised at 130k, 3,000 rpm, redline is 6,500. So it does "like" to run about 130k. It will happily run faster and is rock-solid up to any speed I am comfortable at.

You know when you've hit the "sweet-spot", where the car just cruises along without real effort, there is still enough grunt to get up most hills without strain, down-hill you can back-off and maintain speed. The "sweet-spot" for this car is around 80mph. 90 is a bit of a scream on the engine for my ears, but given the rpm range, I seriously doubt there is any harm done.

I also had one of the first generation (one of the very early ones off the line) as my primary car. When we had our second parasite we needed a wagon to haul kids, grandpa, luggage around on vacation etc, so we had to get rid of it. I was happy with everything except the paint (which they fixed) and the "multi-function switch" (can anybody make one that works?). It was a little rocket ship too.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Gates

In news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com, Thomas Moats being of bellicose mind posted:

> .html

I-15 decends 2,152' from Cajon Pass summit (elevation 4,257') south 5 miles to Cajon Jct (ele 2,105). For comparison, Florida's highest point in the entire state is a meager 345'. At four lanes wide, people do get carried right along at speed. We have longer and steeper interstate grades elsewhere in CA. >:-)

Reply to
Philip®

A "FULL sized" adult .... means .... an increasingly OBESE adult.

Philip®

Still does not say what the actual average speed is. Do you think even the worse "average" driver does not know when they are doing at least 90? Come on, hill or no hill, you know when you are going that fast. Florida is not the only place I have lived or traveled. I lived in Jersey and western NY. I have driven all over PA. Pa has mountains you know. You say the mountains are different on the west coast of the states? Been there as well. I used to vacation in Vail. Want the real info of what the average speed traveled? Go ask the California DOT of California's State Police. Those rags you posted gave you nothing except the fact that more tickets are issued for high speed than in years past.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Reply to
Thomas Moats