Can Anything Stop Toyota?

The CV stands out because, like the old Caprice Classic(square older version), it is used by police and taxis. They have to pay extra attention to problems and over-engineer it since 75-80% of their sales are to these customers. The engine in it is also bulletproof. When you see what police actually do to the engines afterwards to get more power out of it and how they abuse them, in stock form, it may be old and dated, but it's a tank.

Most everything else Ford makes? Yeah - it's junk.

Compared to a Civic or Corolla, it is a clear winner. Most people who buy budget cars buy them because they can't afford a new larger midsized car like a Camry or something nice like a Volvo. I really wonder why people buy Kias and Hyundais for $10K when $10K buys you a darn nice used car.

GM is the same - they make one or two good choices and the rest is not worth looking at. Currently, the LeSabre is a great car compared to almost everything else they make. My mother's had hers for 40K so far and has had one glitch so far(warranty covered it).

Unbelieveably better than their older cars. Is it a Lexus? No. Not even close. Me? I wouldn't buy it new in a million years. They bought it for about $22K, new. $7K in GM credit card rebates since they rotate their entire income through their GM card and pay of the entire balance during the grace period.(heh)

Compared to a 22K Toyota? Clear winner.

I hear Ford also has a credit card, so a few K off of a CV could drop the price to close to $20K.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

The last report on the Regal was in the Jan. 1998 issue.

Where did they say that the Regal was better than the Camry? Their April 2003 auto issue said about the Regal:

"The Regal is an acceptable car, but nothing special compared with its newer, more advanced com petition. Drawbacks include ungainly handling (the optional Gran Touring suspension improves that somewhat) and front seats that become less comfortable the longer you sit in them. On the plus side, the Regal rides well at lower speeds and its cabin is quiet."

In the same issue, they wrote of the Camry:

"The Camry is among our top-rated family cars, with the Honda Accord and Volkswagen (sic) Passat. The new 2.4 liter four is outstanding. Handling is predictable and secure, but midling tire grip limits its capability. Steering response has improved but still feels a bit light."

So how did you come to the opposite conclusion?

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

Sorry, (and I wish I had the link to prove it...) but Toyota has overtaken Ford as the global #2 selling marque in the auto world, behind GM.

Vuarra

Vuarra

In news:xUQsb.9416$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net, Joseph Oberlander being of bellicose mind posted:

WHERE did you get that figure? (that 75-80% of their sales....). I've never even heard that from MikeHunt.

Well... take a look under the hood and tell me if you're talking about the OLD Windsor pushrod motor or the relatively recent 4.6 liter overhead cam engine (Yamaha?).

Reply to
Philip®

In news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, do_not_spam_me being of bellicose mind posted:

A RECENT announcement that Buick Regal eeked out Camry was posted about 8 days ago. Check AutoNews or CR.

Reply to
Philip®

Debating which is better is kid stuff, they ALL build some that are not up to snuff. If total sales count for quality and reliability then that would indicate GM builds the best quality and offers the best value. Toyota indeed outsold Ford worldwide by few thousand vehicles in the third quarter. What the Toyota fanatics don't tell you is Ford outsells Toyota nearly three to one in the US. The one bad Toyota one once owned does not make all Toyotas bad anymore than does one bad GM or Ford one owned make all GM's Fords bad. For some reason a hand full of Toyota owners that hang in the NG's seem paranoid or have an inferiority complex and try to justify their preference by denigrating anything else. From what I see in our business all manufactures are building good vehicles today, the only real difference is style and price. I would suggest one drive and get a total drive home price, then buy the style and brand that best suit their needs and budget and get on with their life.

mike hunt

Vuarra wrote:

Reply to
Mikehunt

I stopped buying CR years ago when they said a Dodge model was better than a Plymouth version and the only difference between the two was the grill. The information on the Buick from CR was reported in the Chicago Tribune newspapers. Another article said Ford new F150 is far and away a better truck than the Tundra or any other truck on the market today, as well. ;)

mike hunt

do_not_spam_me wrote:

Reply to
Mikehunt

What does "rotate their entire income through their GM card" mean? Do they have their paychecks directly applied to their credit card?

Reply to
New Question

Bob, sour grape juice on you too? :-D

Suck it up, get over it!

Reply to
MDT Tech®

LOL...you are jokeing are you not??

You own a 1995 Escort and didn't like the Celica?

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...quality is important to me...and I buy a Ford Escort????????

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott in Florida

Reply to
Scott in Fla

Reliability is simmilar, though. Both are well made vehicles, despite the dealers.

Let's re-calculate from the $10,895/$10,610 price. The assumption was that you buy one used to save that horrendous depreciation. I bet both have long-term costs that are simmilar once you knock off the first couple of years.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Police, fleet, rental, and taxis are almost all of their CV sales. The LAPD buys them dozens at a time every month to replace totalled ones. Multiply that times most of the U.S. and you get an idea how tiny their consumer sales are compared to their big contracts.

What year did they change the motor? I know the old one was a tank.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Pretty much all of their bills as well as house payments - about 50K in real money flows through the card every year and they pay the balance directly every paycheck. Nice way to beat interest and get thoose dealer dollars.

They dropped the max to $5K IIRC, so it's not quite the deal it was.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

I did note the GM to build Cadilacs in China nonsense. Talk about gouging. Chinese made Cadillac - costs them $10K to make over there and sells for the same inflated $50K over here as if they were paying U.S. wages.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

I find this very difficult to believe. Here in Michigan (probably the key difference), every Ford dealer I've been to for anything has been stellar. Every Toyota dealer has been a virtual pit of despair... when my old man was looking at Landcruisers, we went in my local dealer one night and the service waiting room looked like an inner city ER waiting room. People were packed in there shoulder-to-shoulder, kids running everywhere screaming. It was the most horrible thing I've ever seen, and actually dissuaded me from considering a Toyota as my next car. Either this particular dealer doesn't have its act together, or Toyotas fail at least as much as other makes do.

Reply to
Rich

"Philip®" wrote:Well... take a look under the hood and tell me if you're talking

The engine under the hood of late model Crown Vics is not a Yamaha motor. It is a Ford designed and built "modular" V-8. They build them at one of two factories - Windsor Canada or Romeo Michigan. See

. Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

1992
Reply to
C. E. White

The dealership experience is why I bought a Ford. Got a great price ('02 Town Car for 23K), financing folks worked hard to get the lowest interest rate, and the service department is excellent. Contrast that with a local GM dealer: "Find what you want on the lot, write down the vin, come back in & I'll write it up. Price? Whatever's on the sticker."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Professional Shop Rat: 14,175 days in a GM plant.

David Starr

And what an interior! Well, at least in pictures... I'm eagerly waiting to check out the upcoming Futura and 500.

Reply to
Neo