Choke connection

Fellow Ford Drivers,

Last year the wire that was connected to the choke on my 1978 Ford Granada burned completely. I noticed that the choke opened and closed without the electrical assist so I didn't bother connecting the choke. The engine is a 250 inline 6. I would like to connect the choke now and I seem to remember that the burned wire came off the alternator. The wire was spliced into a wire that was connected to the alternator. I measured this wire today and only read +7 volts or so. Is this correct?

Should I just run the car without the electrical assist to the choke?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
azazel scratch

If the choke opens OK you can get by without the electric assist. The voltage you read is correct for the stator wire of the alternator, witch is normally where the electric choke is powered from.

Reply to
Sean Hawkes