Electric Choke Control: 1984 F-150

We have a 1984 Ford F-150 pickup which we use to haul sheep, carry feed and hay, etc. We usually drive it less than 1,000 miles per year. It's got a

2-bbl carb on a 302 V-8, automatic trans.

It doesn't like to start in the cold weather. The choke cap isn't the standard cap I remember from the olden days, it's a green gizmo with wires going into it. You can't just loosen the clamp screws and turn it to adjust the choke, so I figure it's some sort of electronically controlled anti-pollution choke control. My guess is that the wires go to a temperature sensor somewhere in the block or manifold and that something along the line has given out, hence the hard starting in cold weather.

My first impulse is to get a manual choke conversion kit; they have them at the auto store for $10-$15. I would guess that replacing all the electronic caps and sensors would run five or ten times that much. I don't have to worry about the manual choke affecting the trade-in value, as we'll probably just run it until it dies then have it hauled off, like we did with the last truck.

Does anyone know of a quick fix for the electric choke, like spraying WD-40 or something else simple and cheap? If not, I'll probably go with the manual choke kit.

Thanks,

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

take it apart and see if it i jambed shut or open with carbon deposits... on my old datsun pickup that i kept for 18 yrs. the choke went out.. i went to the nissan place and they tried to give me an electronic choke for it as that is what the parts sheet said, but it was a manual one.. i then just took the old one back home and soaked it in carb. cleaner and it workd for another 5 yrs. until i sold the truck... you probably cant soak yours as it is probably plastic(unlike mine).. but you probably have metal internal parts that are catching..... give it a try and see what happens..... hope this helps.

Reply to
jim

Reply to
Thomas Moats