confused, I have an original key and spare and one remote, none of the keys will open the car, only start it

Ok, I posted this in another group, but lots of confusing responses so not sure what to do. Yesterday, my remote wouldn't open the doors, so already being at Walmart, I opened it to find the correct battery, then bought a pack of batteries in the store. I replaced the battery and door still wouldn't unlock until I scraped the battery contacts. Once I got home, I more thoroughly scraped them and the remote seems to now open the doors without difficulty, but.....

I looked in the manual today, and it mentions a key (not keys) for my

2003 Ford Taurus wagon. I take it that means that this single key is supposed to open the doors and start the car, but it only starts the car.

I inherited this car, so was unaware that the same key that starts is also supposed to open the doors. I have been using the remote to unlock for years. However, in light of the remote failing for the first time yesterday and the key not opening the doors, I would like to remedy this, but how?

What I have is one remote and two keys. Both keys start the car, but will not open the doors or trunk. This Taurus had an engine replacement in 2005 (by a local mechanic and not the dealer), and if I were to take a guess, I'd say that is probably when the key would no longer open the door.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Reply to
BillyBob