Coolant leaking into spark plug well

99 Escort 2.0 litre split port induction. The #3 spark plug well has antifreeze in it. I cannot see anyplace it is coming from, except for from inside the well itself. For several months now when I hit the brakes fairly hard, I would get a big puff of smoke from under the hood and couldn't figure it out. I now think it is antifreeze coming out of the well and hitting the exaust manifold. My question is , is the fluid coming from a crack in the head?( I probably already know this answer, but am hoping it may be something else.) Thanks, Dave
Reply to
nospam

There is only one way to tell: rent a pressure tester (a hand pump that you attach to the radiator) and you will see where it's coming from. Good luck!

Reply to
Happy Traveler

I will give that a try.Thanks, Dave

Reply to
nospam

Had a similar problem with Escort '90 - had the head gasket and a small first cylinder crack.

I will give that a try.Thanks, Dave

Reply to
Chris P.

What color is the smoke? Blue or white? Is there a sweat smell? Are you using coolant?

I would be very surprised if there was a crack in the head that goes from the water jacket to the surface of the head. However, it is certainly possible.

BTW, a water pressure test can be a false negative. Sometimes the cracks only open up when the engine is hot.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

The smoke is white. I am not using any coolant. There is only about a tablespoon of coolant in the well. I can see a stain on the exhaust manifold where the fluid is running down from the well. When I hit the brakes hard it must spill out of the well onto the hot manifold. The leak cannot be very bad, as I am not really loosing any coolant. Is this fixable, or do I need a new head?(besides the one on my shoulders)

Dave

Reply to
nospam

(...)

It's possible that the head can be welded or something. However, what I would do is get a used head. I would put it someplace safe, like in your garage. I would watch the coolant level and when the coolant level starts to fall a lot, then I would get the head reconditioned and put the new head on.

I would also try to see if there is another source for the water. It seems that if there is a leak that is bad enough to cause a lot of smoke and have water there all the time, that the leak is from someplace else if you aren't losing that much coolant. Maybe there is a hole in the hose that supplies the windshield washer fluid. Or somehow water from outside the car (rain) is getting there.

I don't think I would rush to replace the cylinder head if you aren't losing much coolant. But, I would also be afraid that the crack would suddenly expand, causing real problems and damaging the rest of the engine. So, at the very least, I would be ready to get the head reconditioned and put on.

I would also try to find out if there are Ford technical service bulletins about this. If there are, you might get Ford to pay for the work or at least a large portion of the work.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Thanks Jeff, The liquid in the well is definetly coolant. There are no hoses in the area, and it is only present in the #3 spark plug well. I will check the service bulletins.

I just made the last payment on the car last month and thought I was home free. Oh well. Thanks again,

Dave

Reply to
nospam

Thanks Jeff, It is definetly coolant in the well. There are no hoses in the area. I have looked everywhere and the only evidence is a stain running out of the sparkplug well and down the exhaust manifold. I will check the service bulletins.

Dave

Reply to
nospam

Ignore it. If the coolant level is not dropping at any great rate then just leave it and keep your eye on it. Why anyone would advise a head job for that is beyond me ! The only concern is that when you remove the plug you should mop the wet up first to avoid getting water in the cylinder.

Reply to
RustY ©