95 honda civic overheat

since my radiator blow up i have replaced it and the resivor but my car still overheats and smoke from the antifreeze in the resivor is now coming up from the cap any ideas what i need to do?

ps antifreeze is also boiling

Reply to
bigl16

Could be your thermostat but, since you replaced your radiator, it is more likely that you have an air pocket in the cooling system somewhere.

Open the radiator cap, start the car, run the engine at around 2000 rpm and watch the level in the radiator. When it drops, add more radiator fluid (the honda variety only). Eventually you'll hear it burp and the bubble will be out. I think a 95 civic has a nipple on the top of the engine where the large coolant hose is connected. You can open that to let the air out.

Hope that's it.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

bigl16 wrote in news:1_572562 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com:

Replace the rad cap with NEW OEM if at all possible.

If that doesn't work, suspect a blown head gasket. A pressure test will confirm. (A "pressure" test, NOT a "compression" test!)

Since your rad "blew up", I'm guessing it overheated too.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

"Remco" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

A 95 is old enough that the thermostat is probably the problem,not an "air pocket".It's at least worthwhile testing the TS to see if it actually functions properly.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Oh, I am not excluding the thermostat -- it could very well be it. Of course to test it, you have to take it out and that's messy and actual work. I'd first make sure you don't have an "Air Pocket", since that is easily checked. It is just that, since he replaced the radiator, there's a good chance it has an "air pocket" .

Reply to
remco

Actually, I see that BigI16 has posted another thread but with different symptoms. Reading through that, I think Tegger is right: headgasget is bad.

Reply to
remco

deal with the thermostat 1st. i had a civic that had a bad thermostat and a garage tried telling me my head gasket was blown when it wasn't honda engines dont blow head gaskets as fast as some other cars.

Reply to
hondaman

Most likely blown head gasket.

Change headgasket, thermostat.

My 95 civic radiator broke down and i drove it overheating for a while causing the head gasket to blow.

Reply to
Latitude Wizard

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

Mike B