Decent Jack for 99 Grand Marquis

I have a 99 Grand Marquis. I tried jacking it up the other day to rotate my tires. I have a hydaulic floor jack that I got from AutoZone. This is a piece of junk made in China. Anyway, I have a couple of issues here: (1) The jack topped out while jacking up the rear wheel, couldn't go high enough to get the wheel off the ground (2) The jack that comes with the car is more worthless than the Chineese hydrauilc jack. There is no way that this scissors jack that came with the car is capabable of jacking up this car. The notches on the jack prevent you from placing the jack at the implierd location on the jacking diagram.

(3) I am unclear as to where the jacking points are. The instructions on the scissors jack give a diagram that makes no sense so maybe the probelm is that I'm jacking it up at an incorrect location? Sure was a lot simpler when you could put the jack under the bumper.

Having typed all of this, is it better to put the jack uder the shock absorber plate? Is it okay to do this?

Also, where the hell can I get a decent jack that will last a few years? I don't want another cheap jack. If the jack breaks while in use, this can cause serious injury. No, I would never dream of getting under a car that is jacked up, but if it breaks it can go flying.

Reply to
kabinnnn

Your question leads me to think you are much better off letting your wallet be the jack and all the other things needed to rotate tires. The jack that came with the car is perfectly capable of being used to change a flat tire - nothing more. That is all it was ever intended to be. You should not be rotating tires unless the vehicle is supported by jackstands and you should not be rotating tires without checking balance. If you are not familiar with the correct support points on the vehicle, you can do considerable damage to the vehicle and risk personal injury. Most people do not have suitable equipment to check and correct tire balance - it is very expensive. The $30 - $40 or so most places charge to rotate and balance tires is worth every penny. Most of the tire stores in my area of the country sell a lifetime rotate and balance package which is worth every penny over the life of the tires and you have someone who has seen a few tires to check them out for problems at least when they are rotated. You should educate yourself on the process of tire rotation and balance along with other aspects of car maintenance but, this is a job better left to those who do it for a living. You can take this advice from someone who has worked the line at a dealership as a youngster as well as having done most kinds of automotive, truck and industrial maintenance work for the last 45 years. Save your knuckles, your time, your money, and maybe your life; get this task done professionally.

Reply to
lugnut

lmfao what a lode of crap everybody should have a floor jack crappy tire sells them for about 60 bucks that will lift ya buy them in packages with 2 ramps too

ya foctard

hurc ast

Reply to
sanfordm44356

Yup - cheap chinese crap - and if the OP doesn't know where to put the jack, he's very likely a danger to himself and the car. Quite possibly MUCH better off paying someone to do the job for him rather than investing in all the equipment he does not (he admits) know how to use.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

lmfao so what your saying is that your kid should not learn to ride a bike after all the child might endanger themselves lmfao U GO GIRL

hurc ast

Reply to
sanfordm44356

This doesn't answer my question about where I can get a good jack. Also, Have you ever looked under a 99 Grand Marquis and figured out where the hell to jack the thing up. I see notches and double plating.Looks like a flimsmy place to put a jack. The jacking instructions are horse shit. Just look at the stupid jacking instructions on one of these cars. The diagram dose not resemble what you see under the car. Do me a small favor. Before you flame me over this, just look at one of these cars and see for yourself. Guess Ford has a better idea.

Someone mentioned that I should pay someone to rotate the tires. You a so right! My back is killing me from lifting tires. Latter

Reply to
kabinnnn

Reply to
kabinnnn