Does my 88 F-150 have TWO fuel pumps?

I have a 1988 F-150 300 - six cyl engine, fuel injected, 4WD, manual tranny, pickup truck.

I'm not getting fuel to the engine. I *can* hear the fuel pump in the gas tank run.

This could be gas line freezeup, because it was bitter cold when it quit running. I was going down the highway about 50mph when it just quit. This was after driving about 40 miles. I tried to restart it, it started and ran for a half minute and would not start at all after that.

The gas tank was half full, I poured in 3 more gallons just to be sure the gauge was not stuck or wrong. It WILL run for a brief time when I pour some gas in the intake, so it's not electrical, and definately IS a fuel problem.

Someone said that some of these trucks have a second HI-Pressure fuel pump on the frame, under where the drivers feet are inside the truck. (plus the one in the tank). Because the truck is not here, I can not check, nor do I really know what I'd be looking for. I cant understand why it would need TWO pumps.

I looked on the web, but could not determine if it does, since most of what I found was pretty generic info, or for the wrong year truck. Is this possible? Why would there be 2 pumps, and what does it look like if there is one?

Thanks for all help.

Reply to
ford-owner

SOME vehicles had a low pressure "lift" pump and a high pressure "injection" pump - but I do not believe your F150 was set up that way. You most likely have a frozen fuel line or filter. An extra 8 oz or so of Isopropyl or ethanol based fuel line antifreeze will likely thaw it out in an hour or two. Do NOT use methanol.

Reply to
clare

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news:u9hsd8l9u2dv8ohjsp96smnmgkppc2riuh@

4ax.com:

Yes 88 should have 2 pumps. the second one is directly under the drivers side inside the frame rail right before the frame kickup. I would check the fuel filter first though. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Kevin beat me to it, but the fuel filter was going to be my suggestion also. I had an old Plymouth Fury that had similar symptoms; it would run good for a few minutes/miles, then die. Let it sit for a while, and it would run fine again for a while, then stutter and stall.

Reply to
SC Tom

Most likely, it does have a high pressure pump on the frame rail.

Reply to
David

the fury had a 3.5 psi fuel pump mounted on the engine that had to draw the fuel all the way from the tank and push it through the filter. The F150 has a pump capable of producing 90PSI or more. If it is a dual pump sytem the tank pump is a 3.5 psi (+/-) pump making sure the high pressure pump is always supplied with fuel. Not sure if the filter is between the pumps, or on the high pressure side.

Reply to
clare

Have you checked and reset the inertia shut-off switch???

Reply to
clare

If the '88 is like the '96 (I have the CD for it), the filter is under the driver's seat, so I would assume that would be between the pumps. Granted, the Fury was a NA vehicle with a single pump, but a clogged filter is a clogged filter, and should exhibit the same symptoms if it's starving the engine for lack of fuel.

Reply to
SC Tom

I just learned about that inertia shut-off switch. I was told it's under the glove box, but I'm not sure just where.

I ended up taking the truck to a mechanic. He found the fusible link that supplies power to the fuel pump was burned up, as well as a short section of the wire after it. This came as a surprise, because I heard the fuel pump running in the tank. But the truck runs now. I can see the replaced fusible link near the fuel pump relay.

Reply to
ford-owner