Drive your car to death, save $31,000

August 31 2007: 1:53 PM EDT

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- By keeping your car for 15 years, or 225,000 miles of driving, you could save nearly $31,000, according to Consumer Reports magazine. That's compared to the cost of buying an identical model every five years, which is roughly the rate at which most car owners trade in their vehicles.

In its annual national auto survey, the magazine found 6,769 readers who had logged more than 200,000 miles on their cars. Their cars included a

1990 Lexus LS400 with 332,000 miles and a 1994 Ford Ranger pick-up that had gone 488,000 miles.

Honda Civic Consumer Reports calls the Honda Civic a "Good bet" to make it to

200,000 miles.

Calculating the costs involved in buying a new Honda Civic EX every five years for 15 years - including depreciation, taxes, fees and insurance - the magazine estimated it would cost $20,500 more than it would have cost to simply maintain one car for the same period. Tagged: 10 cars with bad reputations

Added to that, the magazine factored in $10,300 in interest that could have been earned on that money, assuming a five percent interest rate and a three percent inflation rate, over that time.

The magazine found similar savings with other models.

To have much hope of making it to 200,000 miles, a car has to be well maintained, of course. The magazine recommends several steps to help your car see it through.

  • Follow the maintenance guide in your owner's manual and make needed repairs promptly. * Use only the recommended types of fluids, including oil and transmission fluids. * Check under the hood regularly. Listen for strange sounds, sniff for odd smells and look for fraying or bulges in pipes or belts. Also, get a vehicle service manual. They're available at most auto parts stores or your dealership. * Clean the car carefully inside and out. This not only helps the car's appearance but can prevent premature rust. Vacuuming the inside also prevents premature carpet wear from sand and grit. * Buy a safe, reliable car. Buying a car with the latest safety equipment makes it more likely you'll feel as safe in your aging car as a newer model.

The magazine recommends several cars that have the best shot at reaching the 200,000 mile mark and a few that, according to its data, aren't likely to make it.

All the cars in the magazine's "Good bets" list are manufactured by Honda (Charts) and Toyota (Charts). (One extreme example was not enough to get the Ford Ranger onto the list.) The "Bad bets" are a mixture of European models and two Nissans.

Consumer Reports' "Good bets" for making 200,000 miles: Honda Civic, Honda CR-V, Honda Element, Lexus ES, Lexus LS, Toyota 4Runner, Toyota Highlander, Toyota Land Cruiser, Toyota Prius, Toyota RAV4

Consumer Reports' "Bad bets" for making 200,000 miles: BMW 7-series, Infiniti QX56, Jaguar X-type, V8-powered Mercedes-Benz M-class, Mercedes-Benz SL, Nissan Armada, Nissan Titan, Volkswagen Touareg, V6-powered Volvo XC90.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

razz

Reply to
Tom

CR apparently assumed one would never buy ANOTHER new car. When one considers a car purchased today for $25,000, will cost $40,000 or more to replace in fifteen years, that "savings" of nearly $31,000 will result in a $9,000 LOSS or more when you add in the cost of a replacement vehicle in fifteen years. LOL

mike

Mike Hunter

On more example, of why one should take CR advice on ANYTHING with a grain of salt. In reality who would want to depend on ANY vehicle with more than

150K on the clock as their primary vehicle? LOL

mike

Mike Hunter

One can run any car 200K or more if properly maintained. I own a 1971 Pinto that has 302,000 on the clock. It was meticulously maintained, the first major repair was a C&V job at 299K. It cost $1,900 new, looks and runs like new. To replace it with a Civic today would cost at least $19,000.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Sold my 1988 Chrysler New Yorker with 108,000 miles this year, just short of it's 20th birthday. Rust did it in.

Put 235,000 miles on a 1985 T-Bird 3.8 over a 10 year period... again rust killed the body, engine was okay.

My 12 year old 1995 T-Bird with 71,000 has no rust issues. Partly due to being garaged and no longer commuting to work.

Got to thank the local highway dept. for all that stuff they put down on the roads in the winter.

Steve

Reply to
Steven Stone

Do you have a better alternative? Letting cars slide into each other, perhaps.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Not if you take the advice of the cheapskates who poo-poo changing antifreeze, brake fluid, or tranny fluid, or who say changing oil more than once or twice a year is a waste of money. A properly maintained vehicle is just nicely broken in at 100,000 miles.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

I'm going to see if I can get 250K out of my 99 Windstar, 120k so far. Almost halfway :)

and I didnt bother to read the article but brand new cars are a pretty bad investment, if you need to buy newer just get one with 20k or so on it, that will knock quite a bit off the price.

Reply to
Max Power

And a friend's 1992? Civic just turned 500,000km - engine never opened up. Only repairs have been one distributor,one axle shaft, one wheel bearing, a few sets of brakes. Still original AC belt, and the AC still works - in the salt belt of central ontario.

Better yet? Buy that (honda civic or whatever) car USED - about 2 years old with less than 30,000 miles on it Keep IT 15 years.

I bought a 1988 Chrysler New Yorker (not the best bet) in excellent condition with 100,000km (60,000 miles) in 1994 for $5000. I sold it 3 years ago with 240,000 km on it for $1700. That's $3300 for 10 years and 140,000 km. My total repair costs (not including some body work due to 2 small accidents my daughter and wife had) including tires, brakes and oil changes was about another $3300. $660 per year plus gas and insurance is VERY economical driving. About

2 months car payments per year.
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

No, just plough the darn roads and teach the drivers how to drive in snow. They are using a LOT more salt now than they did 30 years ago, and they are "trying" to reduce it's use. Our winters were worse then than they are now too here in Central Ontario.

Back then EVERYONE used snow tires in the winter - many had studded tires, and virtually NOBODY was stupid enough to try to drive 140kph in the snow.

The cars still rusted as badly as they do now, but that was because the metal quality and preparation was not up to today's standards.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Do you guys have rust check down there?

That stuff is worth its weight in gold.

Reply to
Picasso

you must be like me.. poor ;P

Too bad trucks weren't the same way... those damn things don't seem to depreciate very fast for the first 7 years (at least not after the first 1-2)

Reply to
Picasso

| |Do you have a better alternative? Letting cars slide into each other, |perhaps. | |Jeff

I telecommute to work since 1995. No traffic, lower insurance rates. Steve

Reply to
Steven Stone

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says... | |Do you guys have rust check down there? | |That stuff is worth its weight in gold. |

I'm not familiar with Rust Check. Please tell me more. Steve

Reply to
Steven Stone

Don't know what the sticker was, but in 03 I bought an 02 Town Car with 33K on the clock for $22,900.

Web Site:

David Starr

If one expects to put 150K on the vehicle they just purchased. when will one spend the most amount of money on maintenance and repairs and experience the most amount of down time, the first 33K or the last 33K? Would it not make more sense to start at zero miles, to run it for those 150K, if it is ones only vehicle on which one must depend? ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

In article , mikehunt2 @mailcity.com says... |If one expects to put 150K on the vehicle they just purchased. when will one |spend the most amount of money on maintenance and repairs and experience the |most amount of down time,

In the case of 1985 T-Bird, stuff I didn't expect to break happened:

75,000 miles - radiator 125,000 - struts, shocks, exhaust system 135,000 - C5 transmission rebuild 1??,??? - heater core rotted out, a nightmare job 185,000 - more cooling issues, gas tank rusted out from the top of the tank 225,000 - significant rust setting in, electrical system failures (fuel pump power relay, dashboard voltage regulator, etc.)
Reply to
Steven Stone

Our newest car, the Taurus wagon, will hit 200,000 miles this week. I just drove from the Adirondacks to Minnesota & back fully loaded. 27 mpg w/ A/C on. Nary a worry or problem.

The last Honda we traded in, an Accord, was at 245,000 mi. but I wouldn't travel too far in that. Everything leaked. With the 5 speed stick it was still churning out 37 mpg highway.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1