econoline: removing radio

Please help the clueless. I have need to remove the factory cheapo radio in my 2000 Econoline 150. The double DIN faceplate has four 1/8" holes at its sides. Placing a small screwdriver in them seems to indicate there are spring clips in them, but I've gotten no further. Help would be appreciated.

Specifically, I'm trying to ascertain whether there is an auxiliary input on the radio, so I could patch in a direct XM feed.

Thanks much, p.

Reply to
pb

--------------------------------- Chances are there is no aux input. there is a special tool to remove that radio but it can be done with a small pick or screwdriver. The clip inside needs to be pushed inward toward the radio. Just play with it while pulling on the radio at the same time. I really do think its a wast of time though looking for an aux input on a stock radio....

Reply to
Scott M

Ford Van Car Stereo Removal Obtain a Ford Radio removal tool from an autoparts store, or, make your own tool by getting two pieces of stiff wire, about 11 inches long, from a hardware store. Bend the wires into a U shape with the arms the same distance apart as the holes are on each side of the radio. 1) Insert the tool into holes on both sides of radio. 2) Push tools slightly to the outside of the car stereo, this releases the clip/ lock mechanism, pushing them to the side of the car stereo. 3) Pull unit forward from dash. 4) Remove antenna and electrical connectors.

In a pinch I have used four "3 inch wood nails," but working with the tool is a lot easier.

Reply to
V.B. Mercon

Thanks for the speedy replies. Pulling on the radio loosened the dashplate, which revealed the nature of the spring clips holding the radio. Then I used 16 penny finish nails to loosen the radio.

But you were correct - the stock unit has no aux. in. IAC the radio had to come out, though, to make way for its replacement.

Thanks again, p.

Reply to
pb

What's the secret? I want to remove the radio from my BroncoII so I can try and fix the dead backlight. I have the trim removed. I tried shoving nails in the four holes, and also tried a cut metal hanger. The hanger went really far in, when shoved hard enough with pliers. However, the radio didn't budge. The wire was really tight in the holes, requiring the use of pliers to get sufficient grip.

TIA,

-D

Reply to
Derrick 'dman' Hudson

the

Try this link:

l1140

Hmm, over $10 just to get the radio out. It's not worth that much to me. I'd rather just keep a flashlight in the center console to illuminate the display from in front when needed.

The night before last, though, I discovered that one of my friend's parents has the tool at their house. He's going to bring it back the next time he goes home (probably for Thanksgiving break). It's for a Saab, but maybe it will be close enough to work.

Thanks, though.

-D

Reply to
Derrick 'dman' Hudson

i have found if you turn on the lights, most of the time the display will light up allowing you to see the radio face

Reply to
Falcoon

LOL! You certainly gave me a good laugh. I assume you missed my earlier post where I said that the backlight is dead. Lights on or off, key on or off, I get no illumination. If the sun shines on it at the right angle then the dislplay is as bright and clear as can be. A flashlight makes it just readable. All the other console and stereo illumination works like it ought. It's not important enough to put money into, but if I can rig up some lighting cheaply then I will (eg use some "standard" light bulb or LED; I'll find out when/if I can get the system out).

-D

Reply to
Derrick 'dman' Hudson

yea, i did miss that post. i only saw the onelisted yesterday

Reply to
Falcoon