egr flow excessive, shift solenoid, heater

Hello,

I'm having multiple problems with my '96 Taurus and it hit me this morning that they all might be related. Note I know very little about cars, but am technically minded

  1. heater problems: I get hot air in vent mode, but not from floor - I changed the thermostat myself and it didn't seem to help.

  1. OBD code P0402 - EGR Flow Excessive

  1. OBD code P0761 - Shift Solenoid C Perf or Stuck

  1. OBD code (forget) - Oxygen Sensor - replaced myself - code stopped occuring - but started getting EGR code a few days later

I'm wondering if all or some of these could related and due to "low vacuum pressure". I thought the heater problem could be an air flap that is vacuum powered, the shift solenoid may be vacuum powered - hmmm

- by definition I guess a "solenoid" is electrically/magnetically powered, could EGR code be due to loss of vacuum? Thanks.

Reply to
gbrook

Most of the symptoms point to a vacuum leak. Likely a plastic line cracked or broken. You might be able to hear it under the hood or use a bit of starting fluid to discover the source.

Happy modeming, Bill

Reply to
Berkshire Bill

Thanks Bill -

I was about to replace the DPFE sensor when I noticed one of the hoses that attaches to it was split on the other end and loose - so I replaced it for two bucks at my local AdvanceAuto, had them erase the codes, and drove directly to the inspection station and passed inspection! On the way home from the inspection my check engine lamp came back on! I've had it read several times over the last few months and each time the shift solenoid code was present - first with the O2 code, and recently with the EGR code. during this time also had the heater symptoms. only other symptoms are some pinging going uphill and car seems to leap out of the garage in the morning.

Can you explain what you meant by using a bit of starting fluid to discover the source? What is starting fluid?

Thanks, Greg

Reply to
gbrook

Starting fluid / ether ... comes in a spray can and is better suited for diesel engines. With the engine running squirt a small amount around the suspect areas. If the engine idles higher you've found the leak. The same can be done with an unlit propane torch.

Happy modeming, Bill K

Reply to
Berkshire Bill

Lets start with a easy 1

Do you have vacuum ????

Engine idle, pull off a vacuum hose and check ???

Reply to
johanb