Engine trouble 2002 Ford Taurus SEL

I noticed my Taurus had a minor engine trouble yesterday (1/3/04) on the way to Burlington, Vermont. (Yes, I live in Vermont.) I saw that engine light come on and stay on. It seems like the emission system is malfunctioning and I could smell a lot of gas burning while driving on the road. It could also be something else in the engine that is malfunctioning. My car has an extended warranty up to 100,000 miles. My car has 45,500 miles on it. I took the car to the dealer to their service department to see if I could have it serviced. The dealer said that they didn't have anyone on Saturday to do that kind of work. So, I just drove my car back home and let it park in my driveway until I can get it serviced. The car is drivable at this time and needs to be serviced soon. I'm on a very tight budget and don't know if I can afford the repairs. I hope warranty would cover the repairs. Is it an expensive repair for the engine or the emission system? Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

~CyberWolf

Reply to
CyberWolf

you purchased an extnded warentee... they should fix everything for free. Emisssions arent supposed to go bad at 45000 miles.

malfunctioning.

Reply to
Ken Gallo Jr

It may already be too late, but don't drive the car if you smell unburned gasoline. It will damage the catalytic converter.

malfunctioning.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

Maybe it wasn't gasoline that I smelled. It might be the wires in the engine that got burned off. Like I said, it could be something else in the engine that is malfunctioning.

~CyberWolf

Reply to
CyberWolf

You're absolutely right, emissions aren't supposed to go bad at 45,000 miles. It's probably the wires in the engine that I smelled burning. I'm gonna have to make an appointemnt with the dealer where I bought the car from to have it serviced.

~CyberWolf.

Reply to
CyberWolf

I had my 2002 Ford Taurus SEL serviced at the dealer on Thursday. They found that the DPFE sensor was malfunctioning and replaced it. The car is working fine. The odor I smelled from the engine was definately coming from the exhaust when the DPFE was malfunctioning. It costs about $180 to get the DPFE sensor replaced.

The dealer loaned me a 2004 Ford Focus SE (sedan) for the day cuz I had to go to work. The Focus drives nice and I like it. That car I loaned was fast! I had to watch my speed on the interstate because the car doesn't have cruise control. LOL! Anyway, I'm glad that my car is fixed right the first time.

~CyberWolf

malfunctioning.

Reply to
CyberWolf