Escort 2.0 engine knock

Hello,

My girlfriend's car is a 98 escort with about 90k miles. When the engine is started cold, there is a very distinctive "knocking" noise that sounds like worn main bearings. I thought it was due to the engine being worn, but the problem is also present in her sister's escort, which has 60k miles. What is the source of this noise? Is there anything that can be done to correct it, short of new bearings and machine shop work?

Rock

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

Rock