Explorer Catalytic Converter replacement

Had my Explorer in for service at the Ford dealer, and because of a check engine light code, they said I needed to get my catalytic converter replaced, as well as the rear O2 sensors (it's a much longer story than this, but...this gets the point across).

The dealership then said I also needed to get the PCM reflashed once I had the cats replaced. They also suggested I get the cats replaced at a muffler shop, as it would be much cheaper than what they could do it for.

So...took it to a muffler shop, and the replaced both cats, but...they were unsure of why Ford was telling me I needed to have the PCM reflashed. They didn't think it was necessary.

So...question is- I had both cats replaced, along with rear (downstream) O2 sensors. Do I need to have the PCM reflashed, or, is it something that doesn't need to be done?

The Ford dealer was going to charge $100 for it (sort of chaps my ass, because I know it probably takes all of 5 minutes to do).

Reply to
dhurwich

My limited experience with after market cats leaves me with the feeling that these are cheaper for a reason.... There arer many horror stories where an owner has chosen the less expensive route only to have to swallow that and purchase the spendier, direct fit, purpose built cats from Ford.

As for any reason for a reprogram.... a year and engine size might help...

Reply to
Jim Warman

1998, 4.0 SOHC. Part of the "long" story is I originally had universal cat placed in, and just replaced with OEM direct fit at a muffler shop.
Reply to
dhurwich

Sounds odd that a muffler shop can "do" OEM cats cheaper than the dealer...

I searched TSBs for 98 EX and FSAs.... no indication of a later calibration (reflash).

Unfortunately, the best way to be 100% sure is to connect the factory scan tool and let it decide if there is a later flash available. In which case the dealer is gonna get you anyway....

HTH

Reply to
Jim Warman

It also requires some equipment that costs thousands dollars as well as the ongoing costs of training the techs to use that equipment ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Just like everybody else, a dealership tech has to eat. With that being said........... A few years ago we had a first Gen Taurus come in to the dealership that needed a new catalytic converter setup. We priced it and (if memory hasn't completely failed me) the PARTS ALONE were about $1100. Holy #*%$!, that was for parts only! The car was low mileage and in very good shape. Now if you were the car owner, what would you do? Even if you were a Ford tech, and could get the parts at an employee discount, what would you do? (Please remember that this is in a state that has no yearly safety or emission testing) I don't know exactly what happened, but I because the car was OBDI, they were probably wallowed out and the owner kept driving it. I don't blame the car owner for doing it because sometimes Ford charges just a little too much for their parts, even if they are (usually, or at least sometimes) top notch. An example are some of the Navistar diesel parts that are a lot cheaper at Navistar than what Ford charges for the identical part. I'm off my soap box now.

Reply to
Kruse