F-150 oil pressure "gauge" conversion

My father in law bought a 97 F-150 with a 300 straight six and the oil pressure gauge is a joke. I seem to remember something about converting the idiot light gauge to a true oil pressure gauge. I think it involved removing/jumping a resistor and changing the sender unit? Anyone have specifics or a web site with that info?

Reply to
Steve W.

Sharon K.Cooke

A '97 F150 with 300 Six....I don't think so. Last year for that combination was 1996.

The resistor trick worked on older F150 (pre '92?), I don't think it will work with something as new as a 1997 even if it has the 300 six, which it shouldn't, if it is a 150.

If you really think you need a gauge (which you probably don't), I'd suggest getting a good mechanical gauge. I've had plenty of experience with OEM variable resistance electrical gauges and they are crap. The one in our Dodge was so bad it kept us worried all the time. We finally installed a mechanical gauge and realized there was no problem. The Ford go / no go gauge is far better than a crappy electrical gauge that drifts all over the place in response to changes in temperature, actual oil pressure, battery voltage, your astrological sign, etc., etc., etc. Even Chevy has quit trying to fool people with substandard gauges and gone to the go / no go approach. If the company isn't willing to install a quality electrical gauge (and it seems to me American manufacturers aren't), then the go / no go gauge is the better approach.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White