F150 fuel pump

In my 1990 F150 4.9L manual transmission, the fuel pump continues to run for 2 to 10 minutes after I turn off the ignition. Does anyone know what might cause this, and is it considered serious? Thank you in advance for any help.

George Ahearn

Reply to
Padge Ahearn

If you switch tanks, does the other pump run too? Probably the pump relay is stuck. Eventually, it's gonna run all night, and you're going to be greeted by a dead battery in the morning. Try pounding on the firewall behind the brake pedal to see if you can un-stick it. When I replaced mine, the relay cost a little over $50. I was worried the engine would fill with gas, but the fellow at the dealership said it wouldn't, and it didn't. Good luck. Tom Flyer

Reply to
--={Flyer}=--