fake repairs or fake parts

i have a 1977,f150,i took it in to a shop and they told me i needed a porportioning,valve at the time i did not think anything about it but i took it back in and then they charged me again for the same part i now i dont think i have one at all on that year of truck let alone 2 new ones less than 30 days apart can any one answer that for me thanks

Reply to
101stabndiv

I have never seen a porportioning valve go bad. I guess it could leak. They must have bungled the job the first time if second was needed. What were the symptions that required repair?

Reply to
Kent_Diego

"101stabndiv" wrote: "i have a 1977,f150,i took it in to a shop and they told me i needed a porportioning,valve at the time i did not think anything about it but i took it back in and then they charged me again for the same part i now i dont think i have one at all on that year of truck let alone 2 new ones less than 30 days apart can any one answer that for me thanks"

Next time ask them to show you what they are referring to while the vehicle is in the shop. Before you authorize the repair, the repair tell them you want to see the old parts.

Sarge

Reply to
Sarge

I can't say for sure since I don't have one, but I do know that Ford used proportioning valve on vehicles as early as 1969 if they had front disc brakes. Mustangs and Cougars have them that early at least. The following is information which applies to Mustangs/Cougars, and which "may" apply to your vehicle. Then again, it may not. Hope it helps.

In addition to the proportioning valve which maintains the balance between the front and rear brake sub-systems, a metering valve was used between the front left and right disc brakes to maintain the balance between them so you didn't get a pull left or right.

A third valve was located just under the brake master cylinder. It is called the pressure differential valve, and is designed to monitor the difference in pressure between the front and rear brakes sub-systems, and to activate the dash warning light in the even the difference changed by a specified amount.

If the valve was put in backward, it might fail. Valve failures require replacement since they were factory set, and non-adjustable/non-repairable. If an aftermarket valve was used at some point, it may or may not be adjustable, but not repairable.

If you have any questions about whether the shop did what they said, or not, take it to another shop and have them check it.

If the "repair" was recent, you should be able to trace the lines, as diagrammed below, and find the valve, and see if it looks new.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- The proportioning valve, at least for Mustangs/Cougars was located between the master cylinder, and the rear axle before the brake line split going out to each rear wheel. The primary line runs from the master cylinder to the proportioning valve, and another line runs from the proportioning valve to the rear axle. If it is original it should have an "R" on the side toward the rear of the vehicle. wheel ___ | [___]-----------------0---------------- rear axle Master Cyl valve | wheel

To determine whether the proportioning valve is working or not, while stopped, depress the brake pedal, and after about 1 inch you should feel a slight "bump" if it's working right.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- The metering valve was located at the split where the individual lines run to each front wheel. wheel \ \ valve ___ 0---------------[___] Master Cyl / / wheel

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country, I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it." -JFK Inaugural Address

Reply to
Spike