95 Taurus question

Hi folks, My son's 95 Taurus needed a water pump, which we replaced. However, now after we started it up, we're hearing a sort of whirring, almost like a clicking noise coming from either the alternator or power steering unit(hard to tell where)...it was quite noticeable while we were topping off the radiator and checking for leaks and everything after starting up, and not as much now. It only happens now when the engine speed increases.. not at idle. This wasn't happening before the pump went. Is it possible that coolant damaged the alt. in some way?..(when the car overheated)..or is there something else we might have done wrong on the pump install? We bought a new pump, not a rebuilt, and it seems OK.. theres no leaks or anything. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.. John

Reply to
John J

Did you clean off all the pulleys good before reassembly? When i just did my 93, the groves of the pulleys were embedded with crud. I very carefully put a narrow object in them and carefully cleaned the crud out of them. I was surprised how much crud was in them. Also check for a loose piece of rubber on the serp belt slapping around. I have had that happen once too.

You may try to remove the serp belt and carefully spin the pulleys. Check the alternator, A/C Compressor, and PS pump for any unusual feel.

Also, there is one more thing to carefully check. Check the tensioner and idler wheel for looseness and even feel. I had some noise on my 93 last year that i thought was water pump. Wife called me one day and told me the alt light came on and the car was hard to steer. Went down to where the car was and looked under the hood. The serp belt was off. Upon closer inspection, i noticed the fixed serp belt idler wheel came off and apart. It drove its mount bolt though the window washer tank. It was the bearing on the idler that was making the noise that i thought was the water pump. Check to see that both idlers (if you have two) spin freely and make no scraping noises.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

"John J" wrote in news:pS4He.49$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com:

3.0, right?

Guess what! The pump vanes are rubbing the housing. Get a new gasket and remove the belts. Pushing the shaft the direction of belt tension, then the other, check for friction.. even then you may not be able to tell.

You probably will need to remove the pump and look for rub marks, if you see them, push the pump the opposite way and make sure it doesnt rub after you tighten bolts.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Reply to
John J

I have never seen that happen on a new pump. Now, on worn pumps the bearing can wear eccentric and then the impeller rubs on the water pump case. That i have seen many times. You have to be very careful with the smaller bolts on the pump. Its not hard to break them off if you over tighten them. I usually put a thin coat of RTV on the pump and the gasket before i put it on.

Bob

Reply to
BOB URZ

BOB URZ wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@inetnebr.com:

I guess I'm just lucky! All the weird stuff happens to me!

It COULD have been rubbing score marks fronm prev pump but I dont recall getting that impression.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Reply to
John J

A Taurus noise never goes away, it just goes into Hibernation. ;)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz