Focus alternator - HELP!

Garage just charged me a lot for a timing belt (2nd), new radiator,warped head, gasket, etc. I drove in a ditch to avoid a raccoon, and put a hole in the radiator. The car is fine now ('cept for the body :+), and no engine lights come on. NO noises from engine. It's a 2000 Focus which I HAVE to keep. My wife is a teacher, and commutes 50 miles a day w/2 kids (Atlanta area)... on leaving the shop, the owner remarked that it needs an alternator. It could go today, tomorrow, etc. Like all good shops, he charges (!), and that's okay, but this seems like a simple job. He won't let me walk in w/parts, and I aint payin' $180 for a Pep Boys replacement, even if he agreed to use it. His would be fine, but probably be $400 parts alone. Plenty of other shops around, so my plan is to get a salvage one ($80) plus belt, and let them do it. Okay, fine, but how difficult is this? I know it's not as easy as it would be for my '82 Ford pickup. No dash lights come on. No noise from engine area. Now, I'm thinking "leave it alone", but again - any data, procedures, input appreciated... btw-DUMPING this car in February and never a Focus again. The "anti-theft" key and whole repeated experience of having the ignition and/or shifter lock up makes me crazy. and the mileage is NOT that good. I'd personally rather have an old Geo, but happy w/my Honda 650. It gets over 60 mpg, and costs $66 a YEAR !!!!! total for insurance. Sorry for the long rant, thanks again for any do-it-yourself-if-have-to ideas... :+) Paul

Reply to
paulmbedard

Curious, do you put a lot of miles on it? A timing belt should be good for at least 50/60K miles.

Why did your mechanic tell you your alternator was going to fail? Unless its making noses or the output was low, i am curious to why he would tell you that. He did not tell you why?

Next time, hit the raccoon..... ;)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Esp if you are planning on selling it in 6 months. The worst that can happen is the alt will go out and the light will come on. If you have a good battery you can drive many miles with the light on, probably 50 to 100 miles if you turn off all the accessories, lights, and AC. And for the cost of the alt you are thinking of buying you could buy a good "throw in the trunk" emergency battery-jumper which would let you start the car if the battery is too low to start it - once it's started you will probably have enough battery to get home if it's within 10 to 20 miles.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote

Doesnt surprise me.. after all you probably told him what happened... and he is judging you for that.

FIRST!

YOu would endanger your life for a vermin animal?

NEVER EVER EVER swerve to avoid any animal smaller than a deer. And dodging a deer is useless they are totally unpredictable and quick.

Put the brakes on and stop straight! If you end up hitting it, too bad! It's called "Darwin in action"! AND make sure your wife and kids get that in their heads, too.

I dont blame you for the instant reaction... my first wreck involved dodging a dog. NEVER again. It's only if you do that that twice that you're an idgit! ;)

SECOND: I doubt very much that guy ran a load test or anything else on that alternator, he looked at your mileage and saw it was about 140k or a little more.

And he knows the brushes in the alternator usually go at about that time, depending.

So call around and see if NAPA or other parts jobber stores have the replacement brushes for your car's alternator.

It's an easy enough job to replace them, using common torx drivers, available almost anywhere

Or just ask the guy how much he wants to just do that and check the rear alternator bearing lube while he's at it.

I'm not familiar with that specific layout but anyone that's ever done it before should be able to remove the alt, check bearings, replace brushes and reinstall within an hour.

Google the group and search my name and Alternator in the subject line.

Or just look down the posts, I'll post it again.. been a while.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Hey - thanks to all of you. Saved me lots of $. He replaced the timing belt and never asked (144k on odometer) if it had been done. It was @90k... NO NOISE from motor, and no warning lights on...

if he ever heard my '82 F-100 pickup!! It screeches when started, and then runs beautifully until the next day. I tried belt dressing, pbblaster, 3IN1, etc., but it always screeches for 4-5 minutes. The belt is tight, and my warning lights DON'T EVEN WORK! AGAIN - THANK YOU ALL! :+) paul p.s. the raccoon was okay, but saw one the next day, same place, kinda stiff. It was involuntary, and I just meant to swerve; ran off the road @45 mph onto about a foot of wet grass... over-corrected, and oh well

Reply to
paulmbedard