Ford Big Rigs

Are the big rigs made by Ford any good? How are they in durability, reliability, ride comfort, sound insulation, and repair costs?

Reply to
eastwardbound2003

Just worry about getting on with a decent company that treats their drivers right at this point.

...and your driving career really doesn't get started until you start making runs delivering real loads. You may find that kind of real world driving a little more difficult.

I suppose my point is to not get over-confident and always remain in your learning mode, because even after 20 years you will still be learning.

Reply to
Joe Canuck

Ford "big rigs" were bought out by Freightliner & re-badged as Sterling. Can't say whether their any good but they sure are ugly(IMHO). The first new truck I ever bought was an 83 CLT9000. What a pile of junk. Ford had such a captive parts system they could give you the truck & still make money selling you the parts........which was fairly often. Even outside vendor parts were modified so you had to go to Ford for a replacement. Very expensive.

Reply to
Roughrider50

I would like to own a Volvo Big Rig some day. My driving instructor said that Volvo Big Rigs offer the best ride and ergonomics; but are too costly to repair.

I wouldn't mind the added repairs though, so long as the truck offered the smoothest ride. Which to me is important considering the amount of time I'll be spending inside the moving cockpit.

Does anyone have the Volvo? Would you recommend them?

Reply to
eastwardbound2003

My company was given a few Sterlings when they came out. At the time they were worse riding than our Volvos. I think we could only keep it for 1 year, so I don't recall any info about durability. The one thing I didn't like about it was the brake and "gas" pedal were too close to each other. On the Volvos and Pete's I've driven the pedals were a bit further apart and the brake stuck out further from the firewall. Several times I found myslef stepping on the "gas" and the brake during a quick stop. Maybe I just wasn't in the Sterling long enough to let it's quirks become second-nature. All trucks have their quirks and after some time they become normal.

I drove Peterbilts during all my OTR and have been in Volvo's for the last 6 years. I definitely like the ride and cabin quietness of the Volvo. Many people say it rides better than any other brand. The mechanics don't seem to like Volvos. The '03 or maybe '04 Volvo models had sorry side mirrors. In less than one year all of our trucks, of the same year, had their west coast mirrors replaced several times. If you hit a couple of solid bumps in the road and the mirror would flop around like a dead fish. In 2005 models they have reverted to the more solid design. You can spot the weak design from the solid design mirror. The weak mirrors have the west coast and lower spot mirror in seperate plastic housings. The solid design has one plastic housing with the west coast mirror on top and spot mirror below. There is no "air channel" between the two mirrors.

Reply to
tscottme

My little bit of not-so-wisdom..... Ford = Heavy!

Tom

Reply to
Skateboard'n

Champ there is only one Big Rig you need "Tonka" Man they are the best, use less fuel, low noise, bright yellow for safety and never need repairs what a big rig..........

Dave

Reply to
Alpha

ROTFLMAO!!! Good one!!!

Reply to
MTINSP

You are getting ahead of youself by wanting a "Volvo Big Rig" before you have even finished school.

I'm happy driving a 19 year old DMM Mack, it's rough as hell, ugly as sin, but they pay me $25.75 an hour to drive it, or wait for a hook and I get to sleep in my own bed, next to my own wife every night.

After you get a few years/miles under your belt you might just find that you can make a decent living doing something other than running up and down the Bigroad in a shiny Volvo.

Good luck in whatever you do.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

And that's worth more than the pay sometimes (most of the time).

Reply to
Sam