Ford Escort 1990 Automatic (UK) Update

Sorry, I could not post to the original thread for some reason.

Anyway, the update to this situation is as such:

The car is still driving itself, but not so much. In fact, its only pulling away of its own accord slightly now. I still have trouble when driving off from cold (stalling when going into drive) but when the car warms up all is ok.

I have tried the Automobile Association and a local garage and both have no idea what is wrong. I am recommended to take the car to the nearest Ford dealer, which I had planned to do on Tuesday. I am wondering if I should wait, however, as the problem seems to be improving of its own accord and if I let the car warm up before putting it into drive it is fine.

It has a carb (webber), to answer a question asked previously.

best wishes

Richard

Reply to
Richard Fairbairn

never saw the original thread either, so sorry if I'm covering old ground here

I've always had autos, and on level ground they will move when in gear and the brakes are released

I still have trouble when

are the chokes coming on? remove the airbox and look at the flaps at the top of the carb, press the throttle pedal once and the flaps should close. If not than maybe the bimetal spring in the round housing bolted to the side of the carb has snapped (bit common this)

good luck

pottsy

Reply to
pottsy

I've just come into this thread as well, but from what you describe, it sounds like fairly normal autobox "creep". It could be that all those people who can't find anything wrong are correct, creep is a feature of most (not all, CVTs don't do it) automatics, rather than a fault. You should learn to live with it! Regards, MadNurseGaz

Reply to
MadNurseGaz

Hi, I am nursemaiding the car now and am pretty happy with it. I am still worried about the first time I put the gearbox into "D" which usually results in a "bang" even if I warm the car up first. Going into reverse is fine.

Any advice greatfully appreciated. Can I reduce this or is it safe to live with it?

Reply to
Richard Fairbairn