Ford Escort 1.8 Turbo Diesel

Hey i own a ford escort 1.8TD, ive only had it a few months and it seems like tha car has never seen a service its P reg (1996) but thats not the problem. There just seems to be no power, when i accelerate its really sluggish. ive checked the turbo and it isnt making any noise, i revved it up to about 4500rpm and there is a pop sound and it revs just drop regardless of how i press the accelerator and lots of white smoke plumes out of the exhaust, its doesnt seem rough to drive it takes a while to start but i thought that would be the heater plugs which i am changing this weekend when i service it. just wondering if anybody could explain why my turbo doesnt seem to be kicking in.

Thanks Dean

Reply to
liquidpoop

IME that's normal :-) for a Ford 1.8TD.

You won't hear it boost at idle anyway. Check the wastegate control mechanism: maybe it's stuck open? Also check the injection timing.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

do you know if its had the timing belt & fuel pump belt replaced recently ? if so they might have got the pump timing out as the fuel pump has its own timing belt which runs behind the engine cambelt.

Reply to
reg

There is a pipe that corrodes and gives exactly the symptoms you describe, it runs IIRC from the pump to the turbo, under the engine , very common, though most should have rusted away and been changed by now!!

Des

Reply to
Dieseldes

Hi

Doesn't sound like your problem but could be a factor. My 1.8 TD Escort '94 was very sluggish. Local deisel experts just disconnected a small rubber tube which connects a small plastic unit behind the nearside headlight (UK kerbside) to a position on the turbo unit at the rear of the engine, quite low down. This I think is the "wastegate" mentioned by another contributor. The disconnection was made at the Turbo, accessed from above, with the car on the road. Wasn't a fiddle for the mechanic. Should be easy enough to trace the tubes out of the unit behind the headlight to find it. Didn't notice any difference on idle but one heck of a difference under load. Never been a problem since. From memory I think the "wastegate" is a valve which aims to recycle some of the waste gases. Mechanic said these are prone to sticking. Been through two MOTs since the disconnection. No problems. Might be worth doing anyway, if it hasn't already been done. ATB.

Reply to
Larry

You are talking about diabling the EGR valve, not the wastegate.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

turbo hose popped off? I had a friend with a similar issue.

Reply to
Matthew Ames

news:472c9163-7095-46de- snipped-for-privacy@e4g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...

Thanks Tim. Looking at the recent posts there's a lot more going on at the Turbo than I realised!

Larry

Reply to
Larry

if i disable the EGR valve would that cause any problems?

Reply to
liquidpoop

the wastegate control mechanism?? do you mean the EGR valve? what would i be looking for if it was working properly?

Reply to
liquidpoop

ive also noticed one of the pipes leading to the EGR valve has a fair bit of oil coming out of it i plan and taking this off as soon as i get the gaskets for it but would that cause a loss of power?

Reply to
liquidpoop