Ford Escort Blower fan

The fan on my heater / ac unit has 4 settings. When I turn it to 3 or 4 the fan shuts off or "trips." I have to keep pushing the reset button on top of the fusebox under the dash and then leave the fan on "2." Ford dealer wants $

72.00/ hr to diagnose the problem. Any suggestions as to what might be causing this overload ? Thanks
Reply to
LRESA500

============================= Most likely the fan itself. It is posible there is a short on the "3" or "4" circuit. Or it could be the circuit breaker that you have to reset is bad causing it to trip when it has a good heavy load on it. Does it trip right away? If it doesnt, takes a while, or even a second or two, it probably isnt a short.

Reply to
Scott

I can't think of anything but a binding motor. Since it's mounted vertically its thrust washers probably take a beating, but it wouldn't surprise me if the felt wicks that hold oil for the bearings have dried out because I found that by lubing them every year I could keep the motor from squealing. This motor is held together by bent tabs, which can break if bent too often, so I drilled holes for screws to replace them. I also clean and lube the thrust washers and clean the commutator. My factory original blower started to squeal in less than a year,

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= *** Usenet.com - The #1 Usenet Newsgroup Service on The Planet! ***

Sanderson Ford Sucks

Try removing the fan and bench testing it.

When I did this I found that the plastic cover was holding in water that had gotten into the vent intake and essentially the motor was under water. I let it dry out overnight and it works fine now. (I recommend that you let it dry out longer if that is the case with yours). I also drilled a small hole in the plasti cover so if any more water gets in it can drain out. I also cleaned out the area between the hood and the windshield to get rid of the leaves and crap that was clogging up the fender drain holes.

Reply to
Childfree Scott

its not tripping out on 1 or 2....so its not going to be the fan.............its more likely to be the resistor pack that controls the reduced voltage when you select a slower fan speed........

Reply to
steve