ford ranger xl repeted back fireing

a freand of mine is working on this 94 ford ranger. it has a 3.0l engine and is clankig in idle, when driving, when ever it running. he put a new distributer on and has undone the exaust but still can not
find the problem.
can u help us?
thanks
I see this is a repeat post so I'll try to help but we need a better description of the problem...
The "clanking" at idle.... is this a mechanical noise like a failed engine part? Or is it a spark knock like one might get from improperly assigned plug wires? Is the backfire into the intake or the exhaust?
As with any running problem like this, it is important to have all the basics right.... Spark plug and plug wire condition.... proper plug gap (in the ball park, at least), is the firing order correct? Does it have compression on all cylinders?
HTH
"Jim Warman" wrote: > I see this is a repeat post so I'll try to help but we need a > better > description of the problem... > > The "clanking" at idle.... is this a mechanical noise like a > failed engine > part? Or is it a spark knock like one might get from > improperly assigned > plug wires? Is the backfire into the intake or the exhaust? > > As with any running problem like this, it is important to have > all the > basics right.... Spark plug and plug wire condition.... proper > plug gap (in > the ball park, at least), is the firing order correct? Does it > have > compression on all cylinders? > > HTH
the engine isint missing, it seems to operate smothly but it clanks at diferent times or unevenly there can be a few seconds between the noise or a few min between noise at idle. it dosnt have power eather. my freand is a macanic and has been working on cars for years so im sure he checked the basics. when he showed me the problem i told him id try the internet to see if some one has had this problem before. ill try to look into it tomarow.
thanks,