Ford Taurus 94 - Transmission

I have a ford tarus 94. It has about 160k miles on it. It has some Transmission problems and here is what it does. When I am on the freeway at higher speeds, sometimes it suddenly jerks down to a lower speed. It is as if suddenly the gears shifted to a lower one and the car making a bad sound etc. I have to let the acceleration go and let it come back to a lower speed. The mechanic suspects, it's the transmission filter.

I read some other posts here and some point towards the VSS. Also incase I need to get the transmission changed, what would be a cheap place to get it done in MA or if needed in NH. I live around Boston.

Reply to
manian.k

I would suspect the vehicle speed sensor on that one but, I would not replace anything until the ECM is scanned for fault codes. Many auto parts houses do this for free on the chjance you will buy the repair parts from them.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

I would second on the VSS or wiring to it. But a 94 is not a OBDII car and i doubt a common scan is going to tell a whole lot. I doubt its worth putting a trannie in a 94. The cost would be about what the car is worth (if not more) if it was in excellent shape A used 94 around here would be worth $800 to $2000. With a bad trannie maybe $100 salvage value.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

When did speedo become PCM driven, from VSS input?

It is on my 95.

Does the car retain speed in cruise control, OD off? If not, really does point to VSS

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I have also had the MLPS, neutral switch or whatever Ford calls it from year-to-year act that way in the rear drive trannies but, not heard much about in FWD vehicles. Another problem I have seen in a couple are the shift solenoids which can sometimes be changed w/o trans removal. A good tech should be able to check the solenoids externally using the ATSG manual asa guide for values. It is only EEC-IV but, several trans codes can be stored which may give a clue.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Check the Throttle Position Sensor - TPS, too. Transmission thinks you're pushing throttle down to pass, & downshifts. Before the TPS gets really bad, you might notice the torque converter locking/unlocking (although it's modulated on the '94 - a tach would have been really nice to see this happening) at highway speeds w/ steady load.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Thanks to all of you guys. It was ineed the VSS. Got it fixed for 250 bucks and the car really runs smooth now. Even the initial problems of moving on to higher gears seem to have disappeared. Thanks a lot to all of you guys

Reply to
manian.k