ford thunderbird is over-heating

My fiancee's Thunderbird started over-heating the other day and we don't know why. He changed the thermastat and it's got anti-freeze and doesn't appear to be leaking any. I think we might have to have the radiator flushed does anyone know about how much it costs to have your cooling sysytem flushed? Or if it could be something else. Thanks

Reply to
frogprince

Is it the original radiator? If this is a 1965 390ci 'Bird, I'll bet its the radiator all rotted out or the water pump not circulating any more. When you get up over 300,000 miles, the cooling system will usually need some attention. Even the later (up through 1976) 429 & 460 Thunderbirds will demand a little maintenance now and then... these are all getting to be pretty old cars and are starting to show it. Maybe you have one of those Torino-T-Birds... (77-79) ...or a Fairmon-tbird (80-82) with a six cylinder inline or a 255? Oh man... I'm just guessing now. I give up.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Thats a real diplomatic way of asking year and engine size....

Reply to
Jim Warman

IF the radiator is not leaking you should have it rodded out. Good radiator shop can do it. IF the cooling system has not been maintained well (flushes) then it's likely clogged up and the cuase of your problem. DOn't drive another inch with it, it could crack the heads if it overheats (or might already have), Fix it first.

Rein

could be

radiator collapsed hose head gasket / warped head (3.8 v6) bad fan clutch (fox body t-birds) bad thermostat plugged catalytic convertor stuff in front of radiator water pump slipping belt missing fan shroud bad electric fan motor wires temp sensor problem computer problem overheating transmission cluster voltage regulator (fox body) and other stuff

Reply to
Steve Stone