OVER HEATING...

ok i have an 85 iroc with a 350, carb. i poot a new 3 row radiator,
waterpump. 180 thermastat,flushed all the coolant and poot in a new zeirgo
3300 16in electric fan w/ it being adjustible and i had the timing set
also. can anyone tell me why my car is still runing hot? it is fine on the
highway but on a worm day at idle or in trafic it is still slowly getting
hoter.
Reply to
ILLROC
I have the same exact issue. I even disconnected the AC, upgraded the radiator, installed a lower temp. thermostat and yet I can only drive my 87 Z28 in temps. under 80f now without having it boil-over.
I did determine that the nose bra didnt provide enough air-flow and helped somewhat when removed.
Do you have any upgrades? I have a superchip and a much larger camshaft.. mines the 305 TPI FI though, not carbureted.
Reply to
James E. King
drive my
radiator,
Manual or automatic? If auto, it could be your tranny heating everything up, especially if you have a higher stall speed converter in there.
-- Leo
Reply to
Leo Navoichick
well it is 5 spd standerd,for upgrades it has a edlelbrock 650 carb, performer intake, and well the motor doesnot have much else upgraded,so i dont understand why it still overheats?
Reply to
ILLROC
Is the radiator cap in good shape? It has to hold pressure and if weak, may appear to be overheating. I have a 1982 Z-28 and the thing has always run a tad warm since I bought it new. I did put a 160 degree thermostat in it and it helped some.
Reply to
lobo
Well.. one thing you might look at.. is have a guy scan the car.. I thought my car was always running warm too.. but had a shop can the temp, and the gague is actually reading 20-28 degrees warmer than the engine actually is.
-Geno 1985 Blue Camaro 2.8L w/T-tops 1988 Blue Firebird Formula 5.0L w/T-tops (For sale for $2,200) Still looking for an '82-'84 T/A w/T-tops for parts from one
Reply to
KITT
i was wondering if i could have a manual fan on the motor in the back of radiator and a electric in the front? would this work or would thay fight?
Reply to
ILLROC
Have the same problem. Dealer said to ditch the aftermarket copper radiator and put a high flow aluminum one back in. Haven't done it yet but plan on it. Aluminum dissipates heat much better at idle.
I also have been looking at Summit for a water pump that pushes a higher volume over stock. They have a few.
Lastly, the fans on these cars are a pain in the &^%$#. Check to see when yours are firing up. Mine don't come on til the car is approaching meltdown! A work-around....if your A/C still works, by turning on the A/C, both fans should come on. I use this trick on my Vette as well. Its a GM thing...
Reply to
James Alio

Site Timeline Threads