antifreeze problems! help?

i have a 1987 toyota supra and it has an anti freeze leak. we changed the waterpump and it still is leaking so we are goin to put water sealent around it. if any one know what else might be making it leak PLEASE tell me

email me at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
1987toyotasupra

"1987toyotasupra" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Shee-it. You never thought of a holed freeze plug, or the hoses?

Sealant is like putting a cork in your ass because you fart too much. Do some investigative work before you wreck your motor more than it's already wrecked.

Just my 2¢ (but Cdn, so it's really like 1½¢ US).

Reply to
TeGGer®

The sealant will probably clog your radiator, thermostat, and/or heater core while still not stopping the leak (not that I speak from experience ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

Headgasket!

Reply to
Liberals=Minority Party

Reply posted and a courtesy copy e-mailed - now go back to alt.autos.toyota and check the group, there are other responses.

Before you start guessing and "shotgunning" parts and money at the car, the first step is to find out where the missing coolant is really going. DO NOT use any sealants like "Bars Leaks" in the coolant except as a last resort, they cause more problems than they cure.

Clean the engine off carefully and look for external leaks. If you use a steam cleaner or a solvent ("Foamy Engine Brite" spray) followed by a high-pressure hose rinse, be sure to not directly hose down the alternator, distributor, or starter. And be gentle on other electric items - the wiring connections are sealed, but sealed against splashes, not against a direct 3000 PSI blast.

If you can't tell for sure where the leak is, there are UV dyes you pour a bit into the coolant, then the next day you check the car with a hand-held blacklight. The leaked dye shines like a beacon.

If it isn't leaking coolant on the outside, it probably has a blown head gasket leaking internally. A mechanic can quickly and easily check for exhaust gases in the radiator and tell you for sure.

Adding sealants to the radiator can't cure a blown head gasket - you have to change it. And don't delay, the longer you wait the worse it gets - wait and you may have to machine or replace the cylinder head.

And do the math before junking the car, if the car's body is sound, the rest of the drivetrain is in good shape, and it meets your needs it is usually a much better deal to fix the headgasket and keep driving your old car.

When you buy a new car, you take a big depreciation hit (up to 40% of the sale price) as you drive it off the lot and it becomes a 'used car', and then 5 years of car payments and much higher insurance payments and taxes.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Alright, can you SEE coolant leaking from the waterpump, or are you assuming that that is the source of the leak? If you can't see where the coolant is leaking, then you need to stop what you are doing and TEST something. Grab a pressure tester and pump up the cooling system, be vewy vewy qwiet, and listen for escaping air. Also, go to your local parts store and get a head gasket test kit. It's a breeze to use, and it might actually help you fix the right area.

Qslim

Alright, can you SEE coolant leaking from the waterpump, or are you assuming that that is the source of the leak? If you can't see where the coolant is leaking, then you need to stop what you are doing and TEST something. Grab a pressure tester and pump up the cooling system, be vewy vewy qwiet, and listen for escaping air. Also, go to your local parts store and get a head gasket test kit. It's a breeze to use, and it might actually help you fix the right area.

Qslim

  1. IMHO: you took the time to do it right, why use a sealant?

later,

tom @

The Real Tom

Now that everyone has yelled at you...

1987 Supra, 3.0L engine. How many miles? Have you ever replaced/retorqued the head gasket? These things have a congenital problem from the factory, I suppose Toyota never addressed it because the car is well out of warranty long before it manifests itself.

Basically, they have a bad head gasket. The best thing to do is fill the radiator to full (not over) and clean the engine. Look for external leaks. I'm betting you won't find any. So, starting from full, watch the level over time (daily). If coolant level drops, and there aren't any leaks, time for a HG. HKS makes a metal HG I've seen for about $45, +PITA factor (er, ripping the engine down). While your there, might as well Port and Polish...easy way to gain ~10 HP, since you're there anyway...

Reply to
hachiroku

You got a couple of "O.K." responses here. Hard to tell, but it sounds as if you replaced the waterpump and you are still seeing leaks from that area.

It's been a LONG time since I replaced a water pump, probably 15 years or so, but is it possible that you screwed up with either the gasket or the torque when you reseated the pump. Did you remove any hoses when you did it (my last car I had to remove the radiator to replace the WP).

What type of pump did you use a "rebuit" one from the locally Ranny, Schmoe and Jerk store or a quality one from Toyota or some other such supplier.

I always used one of the silcone form-a-gaskets when I did this job....If it appears to be coming from around the pump, I'd be tempted to pull it, clean off the mating surfaces, use a new gasket and try again.

If you don't know WHERE it is coming from, pressure test the system to find the leak. Don't go guessing.

As someone else mentioned DON'T put any sort of "stopleak" in the system.

Reply to
timbirr