Ford to debut safer 2010 Ranger

Additional standard features on small pickup to include roll stability control, side air bags.

The 2010 Ford Ranger will arrive this summer with a slew of new safety features, Ford Motor Co. is expected to announce today.

The Ranger will include roll stability control as part of the small pickup's electronic stability control, known as Advance Trac. The system uses a gyroscopic roll sensor to measure the body roll angle, and, if necessary, it employs counter measures such as reducing the engine's power and applying the brakes to one or two wheels to right the vehicle.

"The 2010 Ranger's Roll Stability Control and combination side air bag technologies will help occupants stay out of harm's way," said Steve Kozak, chief engineer of safety systems at Ford, in a news release.

Ford will also add head-and-chest side impact airbags to the new Ranger.

The new system could help prevent head injuries in side impacts.

All of the safety equipment will be standard on the Ranger.

When equipped with Ford's 2.3-liter I-4 engine, the Ranger is the most fuel efficient pickup on the road. According to EPA estimates, it hits 21 miles per gallon in the city and 26 mpg on the highway.

Davïd Greenville, NC

Ðavïd

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 04:14:21 -0500, Ðavïd wrote Re Ford to debut safer 2010 Ranger:

I wonder how much cost is added to the vehicle do to the added "safety" features. Just another reason not to buy.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

Ford is making SC standard on the 2010 Mustang GT and several other cars as well. When an item is made standard across a line the added cost is less than when it was an option, but it still ups the gross. I.E When passenger SRS was optional it was an $800 option. When it became standard the order Code increase was $550.

I do not like to be forced to buy any option that I would not normally order even the "safety options" for dummies like SC and ABS. Even the side SRS is a joke. You are far more likely to be hit by lighting on a sunny day than be saved from serious injury by the SRS in a side impact.

Ford is taking a page from Toyotas sales book. The are forcing buyers to buy more option than they would normally buy, by making one move up to a higher priced series to get particular preferred options. Look at how much more one needs to spend just to get a V6 in a basic Camry. No wonder eight out of ten Camrys sold in the US have the wimpy 4cy engine.

A 2010 Mustang GT convertible, equipped like my '09 is priced around $3,500 more. The reason is to get a leather gut one must move up to the Premium model, from the Deluxe. The Premium adds a cloth roof, the Microsoft package and a premium sound system and some other kid stuff that I would not buy. To get only what I want I will order the Deluxe, save the $3,500 and have a custom shop do the leather gut for around $450.

As for our, used import car buying friend Caesar Romano, the subject of new FORD pricing is moot. LOL

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I wonder who designed it. Apparently, ford gas two rangers, one for north america and for the rest of the world. The one for the rest of the world. The one for the rest of the world was designed by Mazda.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I'll listen when ford debuts a quality ranger.

Reply to
Picasso

About 3700 deaths a year could be prevented with side impact bags. And about 100 people are killed by lightening.

So side impact bags are more likely to save one from serious injury (if one assumes that death is a form of serious injury) than get hit by lightening.

When making comments about safety, please get your facts right.

Jeff

Jeff

sounds like what is already in the Escape.

Reply to
nothermark

About 3700 deaths a year could be prevented with side impact bags. And about 100 people are killed by lightening.

So side impact bags are more likely to save one from serious injury (if one assumes that death is a form of serious injury) than get hit by lightening.

When making comments about safety, please get your facts right.

Jeff

What about comparing a study done in 1995 with another study done in 2004, eh Jeff??? If that isn't apples vs. oranges I don't know what is!!!! If you are going to make comments about safety, please make sure your facts are comparable and relevant.

DaveD

Reply to
Dave D

If you dislike Ford so very much, why are you here???? You sound like you've got your head screwed on like a figure in one of your namesake's paintings.

DaveD

Reply to
Dave D

The WRAL article you cited seemed to claim only around 2000 deaths could be prevented with side air bags.

The real question is, "What is the value of a life?" Lets say side air bags cost $300 per vehicle (probably low). And lets say we will sell

10 million vehicles a year (was a low volume until now...). That means people in the US would spend nearly $3 Billion a year on side air bags to save 2000 lives a year, or around $1.5 million per life saved? Is it worth it? Don't you think we might actually save more lives if that $3 billion a year was spent on other safety measures (improved roads, add guard rails, better tires, etc.). And don't you suppose that the added cost of many of the marginal safety devices (ABS, air bags, traction control) may be pushing up the costs of cars so much that people are hanging on to older, less safe cars for a longer period of time? Suppose instead of blowing thousands on marginal safety devices, people spent the money on maintiaing cars better and replacing worn tires sooner? And do you really believe the projected figures for lives potentially saved by side air bags? ABS has never saved anywhere near the number of lives claimed for it in early projections. Front air bags have very little value in most cases if you are wearing your seat belts, yet all cars now have them. ESC is a bad joke. Bureacrats have no problem spending other people's money. Car companies have little incentive to fight against these marginal safety devices as long as everyone has to add them - they just increase the potential revenue per car.

I think you need to consider the cost/benefit equation for all these marginal safety devices. If you turly believe they are worth it, then you probably feel we should eliminate private vehicles altogether.

Ed

C. E. White

No... i've driven ford for the 15 years i've been driving.

I've had a 1985 Crown Vic, 1989 Ford Mustang 4pot, 1987 F150, 1995 F150,

1992 Grand Marquis, 1993 Crown Vic, 1996 Crown vic, 2003 Grand marquis, 2002 ranger, and a 2008 F150.

For someone who hates ford, i've had a few of them.

Just been bit in the ass by a couple... the mustang and the ranger. No real reliability issues on the mustang, didn't have it long for other 4 pot reasons.

Reply to
Picasso

Get real! When making comments about safety, please get the facts before you look stupid, again.

What part of, saved from serious injury by the SRS in a side impact, did you not understand? A serious intrusion, as in the average terminal speed of 35 MPH, side impact is far more likely to kill the occupant(s.)

Searching statistics does not make one an expert on this subject. I spent

15 years of my thirty years as a vehicle design engineer working with crumple zone design, and the forces of a collision.

ANY collision in which the terminals speed is above a certain speed will kill even properly belted passengers in a vehicle with SRS, that if of sufficient size in which to develop proper crumple zones, will result in death from the "third" collision, when one organs strike their skeleton.

About 3700 deaths a year could be prevented with side impact bags. And about 100 people are killed by lightening.

So side impact bags are more likely to save one from serious injury (if one assumes that death is a form of serious injury) than get hit by lightening.

When making comments about safety, please get your facts right.

Jeff

Reply to
Mike Hunter

One needs to pity the import buyers who come into domestic NG to try to convince themself that they did not get screwed, when the paid 20% to 30% more to drive home an import that they now realize it is no better than the domestic they could have driven home for less.

Although they like to comment on new vehicles, the truth is they are more likely to be used vehicle buyers, in any event. LOL

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Wait... wait...

You had a 4-cylinder Mustang, and you didn't like it?

Yeah. Blame Ford.

:()

Reply to
dwight

Yet, it is clear from your posts you don't have a clue. I was able to show that with 2 minutes of searching.

And, an engineer would know that the SRS acts as the 3rd crumple zone preventing the organs from impacting on the skeleton.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

He said it was a 4 pot, some kind of stove or something. Maybe he thought there is a safer 2010 Range.

Reply to
GILL

Gee and you just told us you were a doctor then you make a stupid statement like that, dummy. Perhaps you have a "bag" between your organs and your skeleton? LOL

Yet, it is clear from your posts you don't have a clue. I was able to show that with 2 minutes of searching.

And, an engineer would know that the SRS acts as the 3rd crumple zone preventing the organs from impacting on the skeleton.

Jeff

Reply to
Mike Hunter

My bad. I thought we were discussing cars.

Well, then, if it's stoves, I can happily recommend gas over electric. The hybrids are untested, and the support infrastructure isn't quite there yet.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Wait a minute!

You are saying anybody would want a 4-cyl. Mustang?

My '65 Fast Back with the 289 V8 was one of my three favorites in

50 years' worth of cars--wish I still had it. But a 4-cyl? I never saw anyone but young secretary-types driving one. Were they that economical?

Jack

Reply to
Jack