SOT: G8 GT Starts At $29.9K

eneral Motors will price the new Pontiac G8 sedan starting at $27,595 when it arrives in dealerships early next year. Prices for the V-8- powered G8 GT will start at $29,995, GM says.

The G8 will have a base 256-hp, 3.6-liter variable valve-timed V-6 engine and five-speed automatic transmission. It will have driver shift control and sport mode availability. Standard features will include StabiliTrak electronic stability control, six airbags and OnStar.

The G8 GT will have a 6.0-liter V-8 mated to a six-speed automatic transmission. Other standard equipment will include limited slip differential and a premium 230-watt Blaupunkt 11-speaker sound system, according to a memo Pontiac sent to dealers this morning.

In the memo, Jim Bunnell, Buick-Pontiac-GMC general manager, calls the GT version "the most powerful vehicle available for under $30,000."

Chrysler has its RWD 340 HP V8 LX sedans priced under $30K. GM will soon have a 400 HP V8 RWD sedan priced under $30K. And Ford has... nothing...

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

256 out of 3.6 liters, how they do that? Blown ?

Bet they add weight to it, so it drives like a truck,

bob

Hum, in 1989 Ford made 220 horsepower with a 3.0 liter naturally aspirated engine in the SHO why is 256 horsepower out of a 3.6 liter 8 years later so improbable?

Today you can buy a 2008 Ford Taurus that has a naturally aspirated

3.5-liter, V6, making 263-horsepower...

My Name Is Nobody

18, not 8.

Oh and the The 2008 Toyota Camry has a 3.5-liter, V6 with 268-naturally aspirated-horsepower...

My Name Is Nobody

Michael Johnson

Because that's the demographic. Us aging Boomers don't like folding the seats forward and climbing underneath the seatbelt to get into the back.

It'd be a damn shame to put all that power at the wrong wheels.

dwight

dwight

"dwight" wrote in news:WM2dnYNyCaQEK5fanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Bing-Freakin'-O.

Michael, you will either remain a frustrated purist, or you will grow older with grace like us (?) and mellow out and accept 4-door muscle.

I believe the article did say it was RWD. If not, screw it.

Reply to
Joe

Is there such a thing as four door muscle? Right off the top of my head I can't think of any older muscles cars that didn't offer a two door version.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

If we are in that bad of shape then we should be calling for a cab.

I don't put it past GM to make it FWD. They do have a few cars that have V-8s and FWD.

Michael Johnson

Yes, it is RWD. Seems the entire Pontiac line will soon be entirely RWD.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

I never thought I would live long enough to see the day Pontiac went

100% RWD. There may be hope for GM after all.
Reply to
Michael Johnson

Michael Johnson wrote in news:fY2dncS3v8rcX5fanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Of course! In no particular order, Caddy, Chrysler, Dodge, GM, BMW, MB, etc. You can even get into the truck lines with Ford's blown Harley F150 and Dodge's SRT-10 Quad Cab.

Right. But this is almost 2008. And as dwight accurately pointed out, demographics in this day and age call for 4-door muscle. Not that 2- door muscle is obsolete by any means.

By the same token, there were no older 4-door muscle cars. Now you can have your choice of either 2 doors or 4, car or truck. Life is good. :)

Reply to
Joe

I'm talking about classic muscle cars from the 19060s. You know, the ones that defined the genre.

Then you are talking about performance sedans, IMO. That is a different animal, once again, IMHO.

IMO, a four door performance sedan does not make it a muscle car. It makes it a performance sedan. It four doors also makes it far less attractive. Besides, most of these hog weight sedans could use the diet of going to two doors.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

No real tranny? Slushpump only? Sounds like yet another boring GM sedan, albeit with a big engine.

Reply to
Bob Willard

Michael Johnson wrote in news:8u-dnSkCvseKTJfanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

OK, but what's that got to do with these wonderful 4-door killers out now or coming out soon?

Semantics. Splitting hairs. A 400hp 4-door sedan has muscle. It's not a "muscle car" by the original definition (whatever that was/is), but these vehicles have muscle.

Again, semantics IMO. I'm simply talking about some ballsy power and decent handling. If you want to get technical, I can't think of a single production "muscle car" that's made today.

Reply to
Joe

It just seems to me that making a two door variant of some of these sedans would be a way to boost sales for little R&D. It might open up more sales to the younger crowd and people like myself that don't really need four doors for my geriatric friends to get into and out of the car. ;)

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Michael Johnson wrote in news:W4-dnRcCyuJJC5banZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Hey, I resemble that remark! ;)

Of course I agree with you, Michael. However, I have to wonder what that "little R&D" actually is. That and market reseach are the only things I can think of why manufacturers don't make 2-door variants.

Reply to
Joe

Are you married?

Despite my own proclivity for two-door Mustangs, I understand that women - far below the entry age for geriatrics - do NOT want to climb into a car. It takes men a little longer to admit the same (macho self denial), but getting into the back of a two-door coupe is NOT fun, and works only for children under a certain age.

I would wager one American dollar that you are in a DECIDED minority. Four doors is the way to go.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

It has nothing to do with "shape", and everything to do with convenience. And convenience that would have to be purposely denied (rather spartan philosophy, that). It's just far easier to open a door and plant your butt, than to climb into a back seat from the front.

Of course, if you were really worried about "shape," you'd do without those power windows, power brakes, and a host of other innovations that have made life easier over the past decades.

C'mon...

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Yes.

My wife has said she wants our next new car to be a two door.

I would wager another American dollar that if Chrysler offers a two door variant of the 300C it would sell quite well. The same goes for the Pontiac G8. I'll be worried about access to a car's rear seats when I need to install a wheel chair lift for rear passengers. I'm in my mid forties and not read to say I NEED a four door sedan. The real fact is I WANT a two door coupe. I don't think I'm the only one. Plenty of Mustangs are sold with two doors. Who buys those? The majority are not under thirty-five. IMO, a four door Charger is no better than a four door Mustang.

Reply to
Michael Johnson