Fuel Economy

Does anyybody have any ideas why my 1998 Ranger Splash V-6 is only getting 13 miles per gallon?Any Help would be appreciated.

Thank You

Reply to
IAN CATE

It could be anything from a burnt valve to a screwed up fuel system. Need more data to process a more narrowed down answer.

Reply to
Pete

Thanxs for responding.All The dealers are telling me it is due to cold weather .I should be getting closer to 20.I service it by the book and just had it checked.Would those problems you mention show up on the computer?

Reply to
IAN CATE

=================== Does the engine warm up to correct temp? Do the tires have enough air? Has it ever had an O2 sensor put in it? Does it get plugs and a fuel filter every 25K or so? I think if you are expecting 20mpg around town you are expecting too much. 20 on the highway is more likely. It is also posible the cat converter is getting plugged. Does it seam sluggish when accelerating? If so you might check the cat. Do you check the mileage often and it just started getting worse? just a few things to think about.

Reply to
Scott M

No. And you still aren't giving us all the details. If your vehicle is in good tune, and has the proper tire pressure, I'd be looking at things like the coolant temperature sensor.

Reply to
Childfree Scott

The truck is serviced by a ford dealer and done according to the service guidlines supplied by ford so I don't know about the plugs and fuel filter.I would assume they check them.I haven't checked the mileage until the last couple of fill ups.I just happened to notice it was using a lot of fuel.I din't feel anything sluggish at accelerating but the Cat. Convert. is a good place to start.I am only getting 13 average.That includes city and highway.I should add that my commute to work is less than ten miles if that makes a difference....

Thanxs for the info.It is appreciated.

Reply to
IAN CATE

just because the dealer says you should get 20 mpg ,it does not mean you will. my crown vic is reated at 15-20. i get 20 in town and 33 on the highway. my friend and father have the same exact cars. dad gets16-24, and my friend gets

10 in town and 14 on the highway. how can this be??? i use cruise control, and do not do to much in town driving.dad lets his car idle for 10-15 min to warm up, and gets on it at times going to fires.(volenteer fireman) my friend has a lead foot, and is always standing on the throttle, also he thinks nothing about leaving the car idleing for 4-5 hrs at a time.
Reply to
Falcoon

Reply to
orlando perez

I put snows on that are only slightly bigger.I was told they weren't big enough to throw anything off.It has 28000 miles on the truck.I don't smell anything different with the exhaust.It is a standard and I have it serviced according to Ford Guidlines at a dealer.I don't know what they do.I never check the receipt.Let me know if you need to know anything else.

Thank You very much. Ian

Reply to
IAN CATE