Fuel Not Getting There, Troubleshoot How?

I found the Schrader valve. It had a cap on it. There was no pressure at the valve.

My next step is to find the electrical connection the the pump and see if it's live when it should be.

The cheapest pump I found at the local parts stores was $178 at Autozone with a one day wait. They're identified by year, engine size, ane wheelbase. Mine is 2001, 3.0L, 126".

-- (||) Nehmo (||)

Reply to
Nehmo

OK, so aside from the relay, have you checked the manual for a fuse in the fuel pump circuit? Refer to the manual for its' location. I'm not saying that there is one, but if there is it would either be in the fuse panel under the dash or in the distribution block under the hood. If the fuse is good, check the circuit with a test light to see if there is power on it.

If you have power, the fuse is not blown, and you can verify that the relay is working, then that pretty much points to a burned out fuel pump in the tank. Or a loose/corroded connection at the top of the sending unit going into the tank

Good luck, Sharky

Reply to
Sharky

I don't have a manual, but I think all the fuses look OK. I'd like to find out which one it is, though. I called the Ford dealership, Midway Ford, but they weren't helpful. I'll try another dealer Monday. Ford really should put basic repair and maintenance info on the web.

The fuse box cover has each fuse numbered. Does anybody have a diagram?

Reply to
Nehmo

I found it. I didn't recognize it because of the cap. Anyway, there's no pressure.

Reply to
Nehmo

There is a fuse diagram in the vehicle owners manual. The manual is available online fron Ford and Helm. What more do you want.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Tom Adkins

Nehmo - You don't mean "available online"; you mean available for *purchase* online. If that's not what you mean, please provide the link. I'd like to go to the Ford site and look up my wiring diagram or power distribution box layout. Many companies provide the entire service information for their products online. This isn't the case with the auto companies.

But the issue is moot for me now. I'll be able to get the info today.

-- (||) Nehmo (||)

Reply to
Nehmo

It turned out the parts store sold me the wrong relay, but the correct one in the truck tests OK. If anybody wants the Ford Ranger 2001 3.0L Battery Junction Box Fuse and Relay Diagram:

's in the rear of the box, the second position from the left (firstposition, the corner, is empty).The fuse is F1.23 , on the right, the second position from the rear.[right and left are the same as the driver's]

Reply to
Nehmo

Red seems like trip to me as in a curcuit breaker...

Gerald

Reply to
gerald2003r

Hi Nehmo,

Anything new? Did you figure out the problem? Listen... The best way to see this problem though is as follows.

We know that you checked the " (German) Schradrer valve"

Reply to
gerald2003r

A mechanic at the Ford dealer didn't know anything about the red stripe on the inertia switch but assured me "if you can't push the button, then it isn't tripped". The red might mean there still is danger of fuel pumping.

Yes, I'd like to test the connector for electricity, but where the connector is isn't obvious.

I did learn that the parts stores were quoting me on the wrong pump. I looked it up myself on

. The 8thcharacter in the VIN (either V or U) is important to ID the pump. Itrefers to the ability of the vehicle to take alcohol-mix fuel.Apparently I need the Airtex E2258 pump, a V, mix-fuel-capable, type. I've been delayed on working on the truck. I needed to work, and had to waste this morning in court. I got a citation for 5 tires and a clothes dryer being in the back yard (visible only to the alley and one neighbor). I was already fined $140 for the same dryer being in the

*front* yard, and the inspector, Richard Felix of Kansas City, Kansas, told me I could move it to the back. Now he wrote me again for the same dryer plus the tires. There's no point in arguing these things in court. Unless you bribe someone, or you're connected, you can't win in municipal court.

It's no wonder most places around here are vacant. Between the government and the other criminals, it's impossible to live here.

I realize this is irrelevant to the thread, but you understand it's on my mind.

[And thank you for the concerned post. I needed it.]

-- (||) Nehmo (||)

Reply to
Nehmo

The nine year old and I were out for a bike ride yesterday. We came to a busy intersection and as we approached a 93 Tempo stalled out in the right turn lane. I tried a couple quick things and then went for the inertial switch in the trunk. The button appeared to be OK as the red reset was depressed quite a bit. I pushed it hard anyway and then the motor started right up. I suspected the switch itself may have been bad. The vehicle had made no contact with anything although it may have stopped quickly.

Reply to
Al Bundy

That would not trip the fuel safety switch, it requires of force of more than one 'G' to disengage

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Thanks, you freaking genius. This happens regularly on Ford vehicles. Call it a bad switch or whatever. Anything that exists on a car can malfunction. A hard stop with a certain type of failure mode on the mechanism does set it off. I was there. I pushed the button and the car would then start instantly. Apparently, you know only what you read about the way things are supposed to be theoretically in a textbook. Meanwhile, the rest of us are forced to actually get things done on the road. Your only tool must be your checkbook and your cell phone.

Reply to
Al Bundy