Fuel Octane - '85 T-Bird

My 1985 T-Bird has been running ok recently except for pinking a little when taking away from a junction or traffic lights etc. When I was coming home from a holiday in Scotland I inadvertently put in super unleaded fuel instead of regular. Super unleaded is rated 97 RON while regular unleaded is rated 95 RON. Since I did this the car has been going great and has cured the pinking problem. I goes like a rocket and has never been smoother.

Will using the higher octane fuel damage the engine at all? I have a 3.8 V6.

Fiona London, UK

Reply to
Fiona Warshawski

Fiona Warshawski opined in news:%qWWa.15942$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfep2-win.server.ntli.net:

NO problem... If it works for you, that's fine.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Steve Stone opined in news:Lq_Wa.17779$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

Or... she's been using BP. Like my wife's 85; until I got her to change brands, BP premium was required to avoid pinging.

Fiona.. you COULD try a different high volume petrol.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Thanks to everyone for your input on this one. I'ved has the timing checked and all is ok. The EGR valve is disconnected as it's far too expensive to buy a new one here in the UK. I usually put in Esso or Shell (my local gas stations). I try not to use BP. Don't like it. Our other car is an '85 Chrysler LeBaron and that does not run well on BP! Why, I'll never know!

Fiona London.

Reply to
Angel

Angel opined in news:cC8Ya.235$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net:

Because it's BP!

They've learned, somehow to make the cheapest formula possible that meets the Octane reqs.

... and their US branch.. Standard (SOHIO) did the same just before name change to BP.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Ahh!, thanks for that! Now I know! I'll make sure I always bypass BP stations.

Fiona

Reply to
Angel