'85 T-Bird Power Steering Problem

I have fitted a new power steering pump to my 1985 3.8 V6 T-Bird as per the Haynes manual. I am now trying to bleed the system by turning the wheel back and forth witht he engine running. However, the steering is so stiff it will hardly move. Am I doing the right thing or is there an easier way to get rid of the air in the system?

Fiona

London, UK.

Reply to
Black Thunder

O.K. I'll state the obvious, jack the car up.

Bill

Reply to
berkshire bill

Yea, before you put the belt on, turn the pump by hand while filling it. The pump will not spin fast enough to aerate the fluid, will not damage the vanes because there is not enough fluid and you get no air in the system. Takes about

Reply to
Thomas Moats

I have never seen a (good) pump not prime/bleed when it full of fluid. Did you get this pump from a junk yard?

Reply to
Scott M