Fuel shut off

My wife has a 1994 escort lx wagon.Lately the car will stall from lack of gas (I think). After being towed to a local gas station we use for repair when its cold or i don't have time or the expertise for the repair the car seemed ok. However after a week the car began to stall again. The mechanic we use said that to prevent a problem if the car was rear ended that Ford put a fuel shut off switch in which sometimes triggers when you go over a big bump etc. Is there such a switch and if so does anyone know where it is in a 1994 escort lx wagon?.. snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
DIONYSUS

DIONYSUS opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

When it trips, it trips and wont allow fuel pump to run until it is reset. look inside the rear side panels

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Reply to
DIONYSUS

Just to help point it out, in my escort there was a black rubber circle. About 3" in diameter. It was behind this plug that I found my shut off switch. To reset I had to push down a little red plunger on top of it.

hth,

tom @

newsgroups01REMOVEME

What did the mechanic do to get the car to run another week? Or did nobody drive it?

Matt

Reply to
sleepdog

Reply to
DIONYSUS

DIONYSUS opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Dammit, put down the wine flagon and pay attention!

If you can walk away and come back later and start it, that is not your problem!!!!

If it trips it must be MANUALLY RESET!!!! That means you have to push a button to reset it. IT DOES NOT RESET ITSELF!!! YOUR MECHANIC IS AN IDIOT, that "trip on a bump" DOES happen , about every

200,000 miles.. MAYBE

If it IS your problem DO NOT DEFEAT IT! Replace it ... Dont be a Darwin statistic

If you dont want to buy a new one, there are hundreds of thousands of perfectly good ones in junkyards.

Please repeat that back to me! Tell me you understand what I Wrote

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - NOW... read what ELSE you wrote, above.. ask the mech HOW MUCH junk was in the filter.. if it was more than a few bits, that probably points out the problem.

There is a coarse filter on the pickup called a "sock", it's not unheard of that the tank is so dirty it clogs and stalls the car... after sitting some time, it may lose enough of whats covering it to start again.

IF SO This means either that someone has sabotaged you or that you have been filling up at some punky station.

PLEASE dont try to remove and clean the tank yourself.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

"Backyard Mechanic" wrote

Does that year/model suffer from Ford's "overheated TFI" syndrome? It stalls, let it cool off, then it runs fine (for a while).

Reply to
MasterBlaster

First Yes. (how omitted)

Second, DONT DO IT. With the electric pump, if your car is in an accident, even with the engine not running, and a ruptured fuel line, the pump will eject fuel. Which can be very, very, wait one more very, dangerious to you and anyone near.

Now that said, have a nice day. ;)

later,

tom @

newsgroups01REMOVEME

Hold on Beaver...

1) Messing with the safety features of the fuel subsystem is only going to get you in a bigger hole, if you are lucky (alert: gallows humor). 2) You're barking up the wrong tree going after the fuel pump/cutoff, for now. 3) If the car is stalling due to fuel starvation, you should be able to detect this with a fuel pressure tester, is it within spec? I would ask your mechanic what his findings were. 4) Has anyone ran the self test to check for any engine codes? If the car is stalling chances are you will find some. 5) How does the engine run without the oil cap on the valve cover? Is the engine breathing with it on? 6) Just a few suggestions above. There are a number of simple things that could be causing the engine to stall, suggest finding someone who can pinpoint it for real.

Matt

Reply to
sleepdog