Engine won't shut off

I have a 1970 Chevelle (rebuilt 327 2 bbl) that starts and runs great but won't shut off. The problem started happening when the car was in the shop for a new trans (a thm 350 to thm 400 swap), currently the kickdown is not connected. The mechanics thought it was the ignition switch so when I got the car back, I replaced the switch which worked the first 2 times, didn't shut off on the third time and then shut off the engine 3 more times(worked for a day) and now doesn't work. I would be suprised if the switch is bad at this point. It's a brand new Delco switch I got from a Chevelle parts house. I have doubley checked the position of the switch (installed in lock position) and the switch is tight on the column. It switches lock to acc to start smoothly, nothing is cathching. Also I can see the linkage in the column shifting the switch smoothly at the switch. My second thought was that maybe the TCS system (since it is connected to the ignition was the culprit, but that has been disconnected electrically and the vacumm is going directly to the distributer. The distributer is an Accel super coil HEI. What am I missing? Thanks, Thom

Reply to
thom

The coil must be getting voltage from somewhere. You need to check the wiring from the + terminal for a short to the battery.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Or possibly this car has had an alternator swap sometime in its life? ISTR certain alternators needing a resistor or diode in one of the wires to keep the alternator from providing power to the coil after the switch is shut off.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Thanks, The alternator is a couple months old, I will check it out. Thom

Reply to
thom