Gas Tank Fill Location All Wrong

Good question.

The station I was buying all my fuel from mounted speakers to the pumps blaring commercials at you while you pump your fuel. I now buy all my fuel from the station down the street that does not blast me with that crap. Fuel is same price, major brand.

Bill Putney

Also - people are still going to go inside for their stupid tax (AKA: lottery tickets).

Bill Putney

They're probably at truck stops. There are some. It was on car talk, when someone pulled into a self-serve station. They believe truckers, who have to maintain their own trucks, know more about filling up tanks than people who don't drive for a living.

Please show me a link where it says it is illegal for me to pump my own gas.

The reason for not top posting is to make it easier for other people to follow the thread. It's not about you, but respect for others.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

hours of training is required of gas station attendants, Dressler said. Among their responsibilities are knowing which type of containers cannot store gasoline, such as glass. "It's a dangerous product and they are trained in the correct procedures," he said.Eight hours of training is required of gas station attendants, Dressler said. Among their responsibilities are knowing which type of containers cannot store gasoline, such as glass. "It's a dangerous product and they are trained in the correct procedures," he said.
ban on self-service gas stations is a highly combustible issue and makes for some heated debates. New Jersey passed the law making it illegal to pump your own gas in 1949. At the time, legislators felt it was too dangerous to have untrained people dispensing such a flammable liquid.
How about Long Island

Edwin Pawlowski

The actual law is that it is illegal for the owner or operator of a gas station to let someone who is not a trained gas station attendant to operate a gas pump. If they don't stop me, that's their problem and their fine.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Sure there is. It's required by OSHA on all gas pumps nationwide, and I've yet to see one that's missing it unless someone's driven off with the hose.

Reply to
Paul Johnson

True, but usually the other fluids are complimentary at full service islands, which is why you're paying more per gallon of gas...

Reply to
Paul Johnson

I'd still chap his ass for providing minimum service at a full service island, even get a manager involved if I had to. If I'm stopping at a full service island, it's because I don't want to do *any* of that myself that day.

Reply to
Paul Johnson

I know there was a full service island at the Arco at Glenoaks(?) and the northbound I-5 freeway onramp by the cemetary in San Fernando as recently as the 1990s.

Reply to
Paul Johnson

That's one thing we don't miss about retail self-service: Getting stuck in line behind Jonny Cripple who takes five times longer than mini-serve to pump and spill gasoline on the tarmac...

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Too bad Oregon seems to grow (or is it cultivate?) such a miserable crop of human beings. We don't suffer the things you seem to, in other parts of the country.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Arco mini-serve stations piss me off for that reason and I'll go to any other station nearby if it's an option. Part of minimum service is not making me get out of the car to pay...

Reply to
Paul Johnson

If New Jersey handles diesel self service like they do in Oregon, then a Public Utilities Commission number and commercial driver's license is required for self service. I never understood why self-service is so popular for truckers, though, although some of the Oregon and Washington based owner-operators are starting to get wise to the fact that if they don't jump through all the hoops to pump for themselves, they get 20 or 30 minutes free to go grab a meal or a shower while someone else refuels their truck at no extra charge.

Reply to
Paul Johnson

I hear you about the low oil thing. Spun bearings have a really bad tendency to ruin your whole day don't they? lol. BTW I live in Iowa so I am nowhere near New Jersey or Oregon.

Reply to
Daniel Who Wants to Know

What about say police officers... or stand alone tank systems say at mills, or construction sites??

Reply to
Picasso

Please name a gas station that offers complimentary fluids other than air and water.

I've never seen anything other than air and water complimentary at any full serve gas station anywhere in the US, not anytime since the sixties anyway, maybe before that, but I wasn't a customer then...

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

I don't know what bazaro world you live in, but I find most people many times more careful with their own cars and their 3 plus dollar per gallon gas than any minimum wage flunkies pumping gas because it's the only job they can get.

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

Are you serious? If so, your definition of a scam is illogical, to say the least...

Most states have different sales tax rates in different communities.

Credit card companies put a stop to that, they will not let a merchant process credit cards if that merchant charges more for doing so. Just imagine how quick you would go out of business if you could not take plastic...

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

No it doesen't. Gas pumps have vapor recovery sleeves on the nozzles that do this. If the pump handle is pulled full on the fuel rushes into the tank so fast that air can be trapped in the tank baffles. When the handle cuts off the first time, if time is then given for the trapped air to bubble out, more fuel can be put in the tank. The issue is more prevalent with some car and tank designs.

The law is there because there are some morons who don't understand this and will just keep pulling the handle until they have raw gas spraying back out of the fill hole. THAT is what your probably thinking about with the preventing of pollution. But that isn't a failure of the gas pump, it is a failure of the brains of the people doing the filling to understand any of this.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt